Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Breeding Forum

TGS   RubberDuckey273   TGS   RubberDuckey273   TGS   RubberDuckey273   TGS   TGS   RubberDuckey273   TGS   Mc.Ragons  
 Member  Message

TGS
View Profile

Need Help with Crested Geckos / Breeding

Recently my daughters geckos started breeding should I remove the female from the cage now and how do you know when they are done breeding? It seems to me that every time we look over at them the male is trying to breed with our little girl. The other male isn’t doing anything. She laid eggs three weeks ago but I didn’t know what I was doing and they dried out. I have put something in the cage now for her to lay her eggs but what else should we do?

07/23/09  11:03am

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Message To: TGS   In reference to Message Id: 2043896

first remove any males from the female, they can potentially stress her out by over breeding her. and if you have two males together you might want to separate them, especially if there is a female around. males are know to be agressive with each other.

as for the eggs, definitely put a lay box in the female’s cage. get some incubation substrate. i believe you can use perlite or sphagnum moss for cresties (someone correct me if i’m wrong) or you can use something like hatchrite. i know lllreptile has incubation stuff, and right now they have a killer sale on an incubator/ hatchrite/ delicup combo

Link

you can also make your own incubator, which wouldn’t be too difficult since cresties hatch at about 72 to 80 degrees.

either way, your female should be laying again soon. they lay eggs every 25-35 days. when you set up your incubator, turn it on for about 24 hours and keep checking it to make sure the temp is at the right level (you’ll need a good thermometer) and is staying fairly constant. when i bred leopard geckos, i even got up in the middle of the night a few times to make sure temps weren’t dropping too drastically. i actually had 2 thermometers, to check against each other.

i think that’s pretty much it, i’m sure there are other members that have good advice as well.

08/14/09  11:34am

TGS
View Profile

Message To: RubberDuckey273   In reference to Message Id: 2056814

thank for the advise. She has laid one egg about a week ago and you can see the other inside her tummy. It has moved lower but so far no egg laid. Is this normal? I tried the breeder box and she wouldn’t have anything to do with it, we check the cage everyday for the last egg so we can move it to our homemade incubation substrate container. She is doing a lot of digging so I am hoping that she will lay the last egg soon.

BTW my two males live in the same cage with no issues, I guess I am lucky they don’t fight. They were raised together and seem to be fine. In fact I thought we had two females and then realized the one we thought was a female was in fact a male. He does not have a tail so I guess we missed seeing that he was male. The other male is much larger than him and shows no interest in our female or the other male.

Thanks so much for your advise and if these eggs don’t make it then I am totally going to invest in the incubator. My daughter and I are excited about the eggs and hope to get it right this time.

Can you also tell me when it will be okay to let them all be in the same cage again? My daughter thinks its sad to separate them but we have to do what we have to do. The one male will not give our Little Mystery a break and I think he was stressing her out.

Sorry for the long reply.

Thanks again,
tgs

08/25/09  01:26pm

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Message To: TGS   In reference to Message Id: 2063293

if your two males live together with no fighting you may be in the clear, however, these animals are instinctual and that can change at any time. i have heard of male geckos being housed together from babies not minding each other, however you should know this is not the norm. personally, i would separate them anyway, just to be on the safe side, but that’s your call. how big is their cage? 20gal is the minimum, but if its bigger that could be why they don’t bother each other.

you definitely shouldn’t house the males with the female, especially if he’s regularly breeding with her. the only time males and females should be put together is for the initial breeding. females store sperm for an entire season so do not need to continue breeding.

just let your daughter know that the geckos prefer being alone; they don’t get lonely like people or dogs. they are solitary creatures in the wild, and while they often don’t mind interacting with other geckos they prefer their alone time. if she’s really worried about them getting lonely you could always get her another female roommate. or keep one of the babies (a female) and when it gets big enough you could put them together. =)

08/26/09  08:21pm

TGS
View Profile

Message To: RubberDuckey273   In reference to Message Id: 2063922

thanks for the advise. You are awesome. I checked the egg today and somehow it got ripped open so I am going to buy the incubator and try that route with the next egg. The female is now in a 10 gal tank and the males are in at least a 20 gallon, it is one of the tall ones so maybe that is why they are okay. I will remind my daughter about them not needing to be social. I hope she lays her other egg soon.

Thanks again!

TGS

08/26/09  08:35pm

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Message To: TGS   In reference to Message Id: 2063933

good idea on the incubator. i know that do-it-yourself incubators can work just fine, but i like the peace of mind that store bought incubators provide. just make sure it doesn’t have an egg turner in it.

leos usually prefer the long tanks to the tall, because they don’t climb, but like i said before, its your call.

08/26/09  11:14pm

TGS
View Profile

Message To: RubberDuckey273   In reference to Message Id: 2064006

Thanks again for the info. We have crested geckos and hope to soon have babies. If we do I will post a photo for you to see. I just hope we can hatch this one. I believe that the cage is a 50 gallon so maybe that is why the boys get along. We will keep watching them tho because we once thought our little velvit was a girl and ended up being the daddy! Go figure. We will watch the boys and if need be get another cage. Maybe if the egg hatches and all goes well we can have mom and baby in the same cage. Pending its a girl...

Have a great evening!

08/27/09  05:21pm

TGS
View Profile

Message To: TGS   In reference to Message Id: 2064292

so she laid the egg but it has a big divit in it. Is this normal? The egg can’t be more than an day old but I’m not sure what to do. The incubator should be here Monday should I keep the egg moist in the lay contanier and hope for the best or is it done?

08/28/09  07:06pm

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Message To: TGS   In reference to Message Id: 2064783

sometimes that happens, but don’t give up on it just yet. hopefully the humidity of the incubation substrate should help plump it up if its still viable. what are you using for incubation? try to keep the egg at a steady 85 degrees, and even give it a mist once or twice a day if its looking a little dry. good luck, i hope the egg makes it.

08/28/09  07:52pm

TGS
View Profile

Message To: RubberDuckey273   In reference to Message Id: 2064813

I am using the nesting box with the substrate in the container. I put plastic wrap around the egg and misted the container. I moved the container to a corner of the room. I hope the incubator gets here Saturday or Monday at that latest . I will try to find a warmer place in the house for the container until the package arrives. Perhaps I can put it in the closet where it seems to be warmer.

Thanks again for everything.

TGS

08/28/09  11:16pm

Mc.Ragons
View Profile

Message To: TGS   In reference to Message Id: 2064899

so how long from when eggs are laid before they should be expected to hatch?

09/25/09  02:13pm

Back to Geckos-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area