Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Breeding Forum

Matty-Dimm   Smith710   Mammal   Smith710  
 Member  Message

Matty-Dimm
View Profile

Breeding Crested Gecko Problems

It seems as though my Crested Geckos won’t breed. Here’s the best information I can give you. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong, or if there might be something wrong with my Geckos. Or any feed back you have.....

So.. As of Dec. 18, 2008 Both my Crested Geckos weighed between 1.3-1.5oz [30-35g]
I added my pair together on Dec. 12, 2008.
--At that time my Male was persistent to get with my female. but she was "in no mood" I guess you could say. she would not allow him to mount her. I wasn’t sure if my female was sexually matured yet. Or if she was already pregnant, and just didn’t want to do it.

So.. As of Yesterday Jan. 22, 2009 my female weighs 1.5oz [40g] and my male weighs a little less than
the female.
--There are no eggs, and the male is still chasing her around at night, I can hear them squawking.

:I have the Temp. at night staying around 65-70.
:The light is on a 11/12 hour cycle.
:There is a Nesting container for my female.
:Realistic Enclosure
:Moist, dig-able Eco earth substrate. Especially in Nesting box.
:Plenty of hiding places. Lots of greenery, and climbing branches.
:And neither of them have tails.

*I do not know Exactly how old my Pair are.
I know my Male is an adult, because of the distributor. I’ve had him since Dec. 5, 2008. Making him ~46
days old: as of Dec. 5th
Now, I’ve had my female since Oct. 21, 2008. Which would make her 3 months old as of Oct. She was
at the pet store I work at for at least 6 months, and she had to have been almost an Adult, cause the
Males were going at 100.00$ I don’t know her retail cause I got a discount.

I have gotten all of my information
-’Crested Geckos in Captivity: The Professional Breeders Series ’ by Robbie Hamper. ECO Publishing
-’Crested Geckos’ by Adam Black. TFH Publications

01/21/09  11:58pm

Smith710
View Profile

Message To: Matty-Dimm   In reference to Message Id: 1936872

How do you know they haven’t bred? Do you watch them the whole entire night? Chances are they have bred and you just didn’t catch them in the act. They are very easy to breed, 9.9 times out of 10, when you put a male and female together, they will breed and you will get eggs. Since it’s her first time, it can take upwards of 3 months to get eggs, so since it’s only been about a month, there still might not be any signs of anything for another month or so.

01/22/09  02:02pm

Mammal
View Profile

Message To: Smith710   In reference to Message Id: 1937153

Hi,
i dont have a question about breeding, but it seems like you might be able to help me.... my house gecko’s already hatched a baby without us even knowing their was an egg in the tank. Should we be looking for more babies? or is 1 normal? also my husband is worries that the baby will be eaten by the adult gecko’s.. do they do that?
thanks for the help!

01/22/09  07:01pm

Smith710
View Profile

Message To: Mammal   In reference to Message Id: 1937348

I don’t know a ton about house geckos in general, but for the most part, most geckos will lay 2 eggs at a time. As for if they will eat them, I’ve seen baby house geckos and I wouldn’t be suprised at all if the adults would eat the babies, other geckos will definitely do this.

01/22/09  07:57pm

Back to Geckos-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area