Back to Geckos-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Breeding Forum

Marleyman   S.   Smith710   Snufalufages11   Smith710  
 Member  Message

Marleyman
View Profile

Incubator recommendations????

Hi all,

I am in the process of getting ready to breed my Crested geckos an want to have everything ready BEFORE the eggs arrive. I was hoping you could give me some recommendations on incubator brands, size, etc. I have 6 females and 2 males so i will be setting up groups of 3 females with 1 male. I want to have only one incubator for all of the eggs i get so i don’t want to end up with something too small.

Have any of you made your own, i have heard of people using a wine refrigerator but i cant find a brand that can heat up into the 70’s (this is what i would prefer to use just because it looks a little nicer)

Please any feedback would be great, thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

12/12/08  09:11am

S.
View Profile

Message To: Marleyman   In reference to Message Id: 1913313

For crested you don’t need an incubator. I let mine sit at room temp. I just have my heater set in my house for 62f at night and they all do fine. Incubation at cooler temps just takes a little longer but you do get bigger babies with it like that. I have also noticed that the ones that take longer for incubation are more likely to turn out female. You can call a local pet store (that has fish) and see if they will let you have one of there large styrofoam boxes they ship fish in. They are great for keeping the temps more consistent. I do use an incubator for my Gargoyles as they do better at about 75-80 incubation. Its the havabator incubator (link at bottom of page) If you are serious about getting a wine frig your gonna have to look into the ones that run 600+ they are the only ones that have that sort of control for humidity, heat/cooling. I had one but it did not do any better than room incubation so I sold it to a family member who is really into wines. =)

Link

12/31/08  05:36pm

Smith710
View Profile

Message To: S.   In reference to Message Id: 1923926

It is actually better to have an incubator because it is nice and constant, BUT, I’ve never used an incubator for my cresteds and they have hatched out just fine. Just make sure you keep an eye on the water level and such in the cups.

01/02/09  01:32am

Snufalufages11
View Profile

Message To: Marleyman   In reference to Message Id: 1913313

if you dont incubate then what what do u do to help them hatch?

01/21/09  09:20pm

Smith710
View Profile

Message To: Snufalufages11   In reference to Message Id: 1936772

You put them in a deli cup, or tupperware container, whatever you want to use, with moist vermiculite or perlite, keep an eye on the moisture in the cup, either put holes in the sides of the container or pop the lid open for a little while about once a week, and just wait... They will usually hatch somewhere around 60-90 days. Mine usually hatch around 70 days.

01/21/09  11:29pm

Back to Geckos-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area