Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Shizuka   Chameleon_man   Allielover   Shizuka   Allielover   Rarejewels  

Member  Message

Shizuka
View Profile

Winter’s coming. I need help :c

My snakes only eat earthworms, and the earthworms they sell in stores only sell those GIANT ones that my adult snake can barely fit down her throat, and the baby snake couldn’t possibly eat. I usually go outside and roll over some stones to find earthworms to feed my snakes. Anyone else got some advice? I’ve tried storing earthworms too, but even if I put them in a container with dirt in the refrigerator, they still die in less than two days or get moldy. When winter comes, it will be harder to find worms outside. Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks! ^^

Here is a picture of my adult snake, Bakura. I’m not sure what breed she is, but the baby snake is hers.

10/17/13  05:42pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Shizuka   In reference to Message Id: 2301740

I think you should have no problem cutting the worms in to little chuncks and feeding a chuck or 2 each meal.

if the worms are dyeing in the refrigerator after 2 days take them back and get new ones. I had some i for got about in my fridge and they lasted 6 months!

10/21/13  09:16am

Allielover
View Profile

i have lots of wild and semi tame ones in my yard and near my house. they eat worms, small slugs, pinky mice, crickets. bigger ones will eat small frogs, small salamanders and newts, small lizards, mice, baby birds( like quail chicks, and ones who fell from nests) some fish( iv herd they like guppies)i live on the coast so they’d eat small saltwater and freshwater fish and fry.

also there’s a commercially available small snake food that i believe is called snake sausages or snake meals. i just looks like small sausages. you would just have to wave it in front of your snake.

if there’s any tackle or fishing stores in your area, you can see what they have for worms, some have a large variety in sizes and types.

how long are your snakes and where did you get them and how old. what color patterns, your picture isn’t working.

i hope i helped, i love garters

12/04/13  11:09pm

Shizuka
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2302521

Sorry for my late reply, and thank you so much for your reply! ^^

Well my snakes prefer live worms, unless they’re really hungry and mistake a dead one for a live one~ I’ve offered slugs, but the snakes seem to get "grossed out" by the slime XD When they touch a slug, they flinch away and start frantically wiping their faces on the moss in their cage.
They’re too small to eat anything bigger than a worm ^^ And the night crawlers sold as fishing bait are too big for my adult snake to eat.
I shall look around for fishing stores :D Thanks for the advice!

My adult snake is about ten inches long, and I got the adult right off the front yard. My dad found her when he was out mowing the lawn. About a month later, I found a dozen baby snakes in her cage! I just kept one~ He is now about two inches long.

Here’s a new picture of the adult in my hand~
Her name’s Bakura.

And here’s her baby, Sesshoumaru~

12/06/13  12:46am

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Shizuka   In reference to Message Id: 2302540

i love the names. im suprized hes so tiny. the new borns iv seen are about 3 inches, thinner than a pencil and can curl up on a loonie or toonie coin.

and your very welcome. it is disappointing that this thread doesn’t get more posts, their great snakes!

i would have owned a few awsome color morphs iv found, but the ones near me dont settle well and wont eat willingly. for the most part i just enjoy them outside, because otherwise id keep them all and because they are wild they often poop when they first get picked up, before they realize that im warm and not going to hurt them. i always check them for parasites and wounds. iv given several of them names and can tell pretty well if theyr over 2, a yearling or about how many months they are.in the yearlings and up i can tell the gender. if i find a sick or injured one they always get care( a few thin ones, few hurt almost road kills, one that kinda had almost 2 heads and couldn’t eat properly, he was cool).
yes so i see 2 distinct different species that don’t interbreed, and 3 or 4 that do in one of those, so i have a lot of cool hybrids and patterns around(some with orange, red, tortoiseshell, navy blue, light blue, light green, black, yellow, white and a large variety of browns)

if you want more info, just ask i try to check back here atleast once a week.

12/19/13  03:37pm

Rarejewels
View Profile

You could send any of the snakes to me. It’s warm year round, so I wouldn’t have trouble feeding a garter snake.
God bless, Jason Irelan

09/12/16  02:02pm

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area