Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Royal python   Chameleon_man   Allielover   Royal python  

Member  Message

Royal python
View Profile

Thinking about trying to get one

I’ve heard of people feeding their garter frozen sardines. Is that a real option? Also are they easy to set up an enclosure like my Ball Python? Or a cornsnake? I’m obviously not very familiar with them but just want some basic info before I seriously research them.

07/19/12  01:28pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Royal python   In reference to Message Id: 2273937

yes i have heard of people getting doing this with sardines. garter are for a little more advanced in my opinion because they are a semi aquatic snake (a lot of people don’t know that) so they need more water then a normal snake. That is the only thing i do not like about big breeding companies they just throw them in a tub :-( but there easy to care for just the water requirement should be met.

07/21/12  08:36pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Royal python   In reference to Message Id: 2273937

frozen sardines are probably not your best choice since garter snakes would naturally be eatting mostly fresh-water fish, mice, mollusks and bugs.
if you do decide to feed frozen food items to snakes always make sure that they are completely defrosted first.

the enclosures are very easy to set up, they aren’t normally picky snakes.

sorry my asking, but were you going to buy it or catch it?
eather way, it try to find a young calm one(one that doesent squrm for long and doesent poop/pee on you) it will be worth it.

i hope i helped, Allielover

07/21/12  08:41pm

Royal python
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2274182

Thanks guys for the advice. And no I was not going to try and catch a wild one because their stress level rises so much. It’s not like they’re expensive so I don’t know why people do it in the first place.

07/22/12  04:04pm

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area