Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Iguana_tamer88   Pyra   Pyra  
 Member  Message

Iguana_tamer88
View Profile

I just found a garter and would like to know what I could feed him

If any one could give me info on this thing that would be great. My cat got him but didn’t injure him so I figured that he would die out there, so I though I could try to keep him alive. Oh and he cant be more then just born/Hatched. Heard that that they are born not hatched. Corrected me if I’m wrong.

08/23/10  01:54pm

Pyra
View Profile

Message To: Iguana_tamer88   In reference to Message Id: 2171175

Make sure you buy him a sliding top cage.. I lost mine do to not having one...he came back twice before he died his name was Houdini because he still got out with weight on top of the cage... He died from my father putting more weight on the cage and it crushed him trying to escape that was the night before I was going to buy him a sliding top cage.. I would feed him pinkie mice..alive is best but if dead its ok just put a few pieces of paper towel down in the cage over the aspen and put a shoe box with a hole cut at the bottom and get the snake to go in the box or just leave him alone.. walk away and check in about 30 mins to and hour...If he doesn’t eat let him go... If you can get him to eat you should get a plastic cage and try feeding him in there so theres no chance or aspen getting in his body but he might only eat the way I just said..It’s the only way I can get my "wc"black snake to eat and I have had him for 4 months now... He still won’t let me watch him eat and he will only eat killed mice for some strange reason.. Tried box feeding him but he just looked at me like I was stupid and ignored the mouse. I do have a red sided garter snake now and will be buy another to house with him in his new 20 gallon with sliding top...and yes he does have a 10 gallon sliding top right now... Some people say housing snakes together is a bad idea..there is a trick to it only house the same size snakes together and feed in different cages..or box feed one at a time so there is no fighting over the same prey and chance of them trying to eat each other. Well I hope this helped some and good luck.

08/23/10  10:03pm

Pyra
View Profile

Message To: Iguana_tamer88   In reference to Message Id: 2171175

I almost forgot to add you can feed him rosy minnows and worms... you can buy the pinkie mice and rosy minnows at a pet store and you can probably find the worms in you yard..I feed mine once a week and try to feed him something different each time..Also dust or vitamin spry the food before hand after the first feeding if he will eat.Make sure you set the cage up right and have the right temp and humidity or he might not eat.. If he goes with out eating for 1 -2 weeks its OK mine has done it before for some reason but if longer take him to the vet. I wouldn’t house him with any other snakes for along time just in case he is sick and doesn’t show any signs right now give it time and check him over for mites.. little black dots on and check the water dish for them after hes been in it... if you see them then take the setups to get rid of them and go to the vet. Mites are the worst they can kill all of your reptiles not just the one snake if they aren’t caught in time. It hasn’t happened to me "knock on wood" but it does happen and it is heart breaking. so it might be best to keep him some where away from other reptiles just in case. Wild caught reptiles are more likely to get them then snakes you can buy from the pet store and from respected breeders. So don’t worry and freak out just change your clothes and wash your hands after handling him if you want to handle another reptile until you know for sure if he has mites or not. Give it a few months and if theres no signs I wouldn’t worry about him having them.

08/23/10  10:22pm

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area