Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

MacGoddess   Sanfisher   Repfanaticlady29   Pyra   Adamy  
 Member  Message

MacGoddess
View Profile

Baby in a bottle

A friend brought me this little guy last night. He found him in a friend’s yard inside a Gatorade bottle. I got him out of the bottle and was ready to put him in a plastic shoe box sized container. While I was holding him, he opened his mouth real wide, and for a few horrifying seconds, I thought it was sending something out after us, like an alien or something. Silly, I know. Turns out it regurgitated something that was almost as big and long as he is. I don’t know what it was, but it smelled awful. It must have eaten something and the stress of being moved around in the bottle perhaps caused it. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone might know if it is a garter and if so, what kind? They are so tiny, I wonder if it is a newborn. Should I wait 10 days or so before trying to feed him? I think the coloring is just beautiful.

08/13/10  07:03pm

Sanfisher
View Profile

Message To: MacGoddess   In reference to Message Id: 2169218

Baby in a bottle

red striped gartner

08/20/10  07:38pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Baby in a bottle

It could either be a Coast garter snake, or a California red-sided garter snake. Very cute little guy. You could try feeding it pieces of worms. You can try guppy fry also. Just look up a few care sheets. The care should be about the same for the 2 types of garters I listed.

08/21/10  11:42pm

Pyra
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2170831

Baby in a bottle

Its a Red sided garter .. I have a one that’s almost a year old now.. I would try feeding him worms and when he has grown some pinkie mice and rosy minnows would also be good to feed him. you can still give him worms and change it up once in awhile.If he eats for you I would start vitamin spraying the mice and worms before you feed him.You should also buy him a 10 gallon sliding top cage they cost more then a normal 10 gallon but they are snake proof and also buy a plastic cage to feed him in then there is not chance of aspen getting into his body and truing in to an impaction. just put a small dish of water in there with the fish and he will swim around and catch them and put paper towels down. If he doesn’t eat for you in a few days I would let him go. Good Luck with yuor new baby

08/23/10  10:32pm

Adamy
View Profile

Baby in a bottle

looks like a common garter.cool snake

12/28/10  03:34pm

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area