Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

TALLMF63   Johnkorz   TALLMF63   Adamy  
 Member  Message

TALLMF63
View Profile

Returning garters back to the wild

I caught some garter snakes almost 3 years ago and well I kinda need to get rid of them. They were about 20 inches long when I caught them. not sure how old they were but I was wondering if being in captivity for so long would danger them if I were to take them back to where I found them and release them. If its ok I plan on driving back to the exact spot on Saturday.

07/27/10  09:50am

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: TALLMF63   In reference to Message Id: 2165266

I’ve been messing with reptiles for a few years now and even though I don’t have any formal training I would say that from what I’ve read they say some animals are better not released back into the wild after being in captivity. But my own feeling on it is that mother nature is stronger than man’s will. So as long as you don’t release a weak underfed reptile just before winter sets in or has already begun, I think they will be just fine on their own. Besides, that’s where you found them isn’t it?

07/29/10  09:11pm

TALLMF63
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2165782

yeah same spot but i posted this same fourm in the red tail boas section and got some really good info that made a lot of sense so im going to find a home for them instead thanks though :D

07/31/10  06:49pm

Adamy
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2165782

is that a broadheaded skink

12/28/10  03:36pm

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area