Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Imotep3   CapeCobra   Imotep3   Imotep3   CapeCobra   Imotep3   Tred   Pyra   Asher1027   Repttileboyy#   Rarejewels  

Member  Message

Imotep3
View Profile

Garter Snake Babies

There is a garter snake that has lived under the back deck on my Aunts house for about 7 years. Im not sure if it has been the same one the whole time but it has been the same for the last 3-4 years. It has a small scar on it that distinguishes it from others. Well anyways every year we find her at about the same time in the same place, and we end up finding her almost everyday for about a month or two. Then she disappears, and A few weeks later she shows back up much skinnier then before. At this time the cats begin bringing dead baby garters onto the porch almost every night. My aunt hates snakes and freaks out everytime she finds one on the door step.

This year we found her again just as expected, really fat. lol Well Instead of seeing all of the babies become cat toys and my Aunt screaming and waking everyone in the house up at 3:30am (Thats when she leaves for work) I decided to bring the snake home with me until after she has the babies and then releasing her back to her home. This way I can take the babies and release them elsewhere so that the cats dont find them and kill them.

Well I caught and brought her home about 6-7 weeks ago and she ate 1-2 fuzzy mice every 4-5 days for the first 3 weeks. Then she stopped eatting So I was sure she was getting close to having the babies. Now this snake is only about 2ft-2.5ft long so I was expecting about 10-15 babies. Well I was wrong, she had the babies yesterday on the 4th and OMG. lol I found 2 slugs and 48 babies! They are so much smaller than I expected them to be.

Now I just have to figure out what to feed them all for the next month until i can get out to my aunts house again. I have a ton of night crawlers but the snakes are smaller than the worms. lol

07/06/10  12:28am

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: Imotep3   In reference to Message Id: 2160653

Garter Snake Babies

Wow. I’m jealous!

Baby garters main diet are worms and slugs. Slugs are pretty hard to find, worms aren’t. If you have a compost pile, or a stack of wood, and logs, try looking in or under them. Baby worms are pretty easy to find. To make sure each snake gets fed, you’ll have to go through each and every 48 snakes and feed each of them a small worm. I suggest cutting up the worm into small parts so it’s easier for the garters to swallow.

Also, since these baby snakes were just born, they’ll be ready to shed really quickly. Around that time, they won’t want to eat, so don’t be to freaked out if they stop eating.

Could you post a pic of babies?

Hope this helps and good luck!

07/06/10  01:35pm

Imotep3
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2160773

Garter Snake Babies

Here are a few pics of them

07/07/10  10:09am

Imotep3
View Profile

Message To: Imotep3   In reference to Message Id: 2160894

Garter Snake Babies

Well I went to my rodent supplier the other day and brought the babies with me to show them. One of the guys has a few garter morphs that he breeds so I let him have a few of the prettiest babies to use as future breeders. So I now only have 45 babies. Of which 43 have eatten once so far. the last 2 are being really stubborn. The 23 that i fed last night have already lost the bulge in their bellies and the one I fed today are already starting to lose theirs.

This is gonna be a long 4 weeks feeding 45 baby garters every 2-3 days plus caring for my other 91 snakes, 22 leos, 2 beardies, 3 cats, 1 bunny, 1 hamster, 5 turtles, and all of my breeding colonies of mice, rats, ASFs, mealworms, Superworms, Dubia roaches, and crickets. lol.

07/07/10  08:41pm

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: Imotep3   In reference to Message Id: 2161041

Garter Snake Babies

First, the pics are amazing. They looked like checkered garters... what did the guy at your rodect supplier say about them?

I suggest the ones that aren’t eating, you take out of the container with all the other babies, so you can keep a close eye on them.

Wow. This is going to be a long few weeks for you! But the garters need to be feed every OTHER day, not every 2-3 days!

07/13/10  11:05am

Imotep3
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2162282

Garter Snake Babies

Well I ended up getting out to my aunts house the other day. One of the babies died on me the day I went down there, but I let 32 of the babies go and within 5 minutes of doing so I saw several of them cruising around with worms and slugs in their mouths, one even had a baby toad. lol I kept 12 of the babies for now. Im gonna wait for them to grow a little more and then pick out a pair to keep.

07/15/10  05:20pm

Tred
View Profile

Garter Snake Babies

u should send me some like atleast 1 im 13 love reptiles ive always had them i really want a garter

07/28/10  07:47pm

Pyra
View Profile

Message To: Tred   In reference to Message Id: 2165567

Garter Snake Babies

Lol I would also love to have another baby.. I have a red sided garter and planing on getting one Saturday at the reptile expo in VA and hour away from my house. I have a 20 gallon then I can house them both.If I don’t find one I like for a good price theres a all gray with yellow markings on him at the petco here hes been there for months I might buy him for 25.00.. never know maybe I will get 2.. I hope your new babys all grow up nice and healthy

08/23/10  10:45pm

Asher1027
View Profile

Message To: Pyra   In reference to Message Id: 2171297

Garter Snake Babies

Are any of them for sale? I’m interested!

12/29/11  07:36pm

Repttileboyy#
View Profile

Garter Snake Babies

Im trying to start a reptile room but the thing is I dont have a reptile I would be interested in shipping them off to me thats if your willing. Just give me a message.

04/17/14  10:39am

Rarejewels
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2160773

Garter Snake Babies

Can you give me one please?
God bless, Jason Irelan

09/15/16  11:19am

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area