Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Lisamd69   Pesky   Damonx   Deadvenom-x   JackAsp   Mel Mel   Deadvenom-x   Mel Mel  
 Member  Message

Lisamd69
View Profile

Ingestion of Bedding

I have been feeding my ribbon snake rosy reds (minnows) in a bowl and every time he goes in and goes after one, a fish jumps out and lands on the aspen snake bedding and gets some of the bedding stuck to it, the snake ends up eating the fish along with some of the bedding, could this type of bedding cause an impaction?

05/04/10  08:45pm

Pesky
View Profile

Message To: Lisamd69   In reference to Message Id: 2145373

Ingestion of Bedding

yes it can be very bad for a snake to swallow substrate, id put either soemthing down so if they do jump out they land on something that isn’t going to harm the snake, or try feding outside the tank

05/21/10  06:46am

Damonx
View Profile

Message To: Pesky   In reference to Message Id: 2149286

Ingestion of Bedding

either that or take the aspen out and put paper towels in instead. easy to clean and mantain as well.

05/24/10  07:02pm

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: Damonx   In reference to Message Id: 2150354

Ingestion of Bedding

If it’s very small pieces it wont do anything. Think of it like this, if they digest bone they can digest small amounts of shavings of wood. Try and avoid it, but a wee little bit wont do anything. They cant avoid that in the wild either

06/01/10  08:39am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2152084

Ingestion of Bedding

Bone is calcium-based, though, which dissolves much more easily in their digestive acids than cellulose. Snakes can not digest vegetable matter, and a snake in the wild that keeps eating twigs and bark isn’t going to live long. Hell, wild snakes don’t live that long anyway! Perhaps I could have eaten aspen shavings with breakfast every day when I was younger, but at 41 I think my body would have some issues with it, and I’m an omnivore, snakes aren’t. Adding into account the fact that a wet fish collects more than a dry mouse, and the exteme slimness of a ribbon snake’s intestinal tract, and the difficulty in giving one laxatives, and I simply lean toward seeing if it will eat in a seperate tub. Small plastic buckets with lids, or very large deli cups, something like that usually works best. Anything round with a scure lid. Put the food in first, then add the snake, get the lid on, and leave it alone for half an hour. They usually respond pretty enthusiastically to that game.

06/03/10  08:40pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2152853

Ingestion of Bedding

Your snake could be in serios trouble.

06/04/10  10:03am

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2152853

Ingestion of Bedding

That is why I said small amounts