Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Serrastar101   CapeCobra  
 Member  Message

Serrastar101
View Profile

Going to get a Garter...

I’m planning on buying a garter snake, and was wondering if there was anything I should know in particular. Also, do they like being handled? I’d like to have a friendly pet in that sense.

04/03/10  09:47pm

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: Serrastar101   In reference to Message Id: 2138217

Going to get a Garter...

I like Garter’s are awesome. I had one for a 4 months, and she was great. They don’t mind being handled. Mine was wild caught and after she got used to me, and loved being taken out of her cage and I let her roam around on the carpet (but I always had my eye on her).

Garter’s love worms and slugs. They do NOT eat crickets and pill bugs and those things, I’ve tried it many times, being unsuccessful every time. It’s really cool to watch a Garter go after a worm, they’ll pick up the scent, and then strike and grab it, then it’ll swallow it. After it’s been eaten, there will be a big bulge wherever the worm is inside the Garter. :) But the worm has to be alive for the Garter to actually see it, the movement attracts it’s attention, then it goes. The Garter might smell it but it does not eat the worm. If you don’t want to feed them on your hand, you can loop the worm around a fork or a stick, or you can just set in by the Garter. My Garter, Alex, only ate every other day, but she was just a baby.

After Garter’s shed, they are SO beautiful! One of the funniest parts of having a snake is designing it’s cage. I tried loads of different designs with Alex, and she loved every one. But every one always had her favorite shell, it had a little hole for her to go through, and it was her little hideaway, it was where she would go to sleep every night.

So that’s a little bit about Garters. Hope it helped!
CapeCobra

04/05/10  08:44pm

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area