Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Bno   Amphibiandude   Bno   Cornsnake chris   Amphibiandude   Bno   Amphibiandude  
 Member  Message

Bno
View Profile

What should i do

I found a very little garter snake between 8-10 inches. i found him a couple weeks ago. we had a cold front the week i found him. the temp went from high 60’s to 30 degrees in a matter of a couple nights.I didnt think he would have much of a chance with it being that cold.
The problem im having is trying to get him to eat Ive tried earthworms,meal worms,beetles from the meal worms,crickets both large and small,and finally a pinkie mice.he may have ate something but i haven’t see him feed or notice a change in amount of food Ive put in there.This would be my first snake. suggestions on the eating problem and being a first timer would be appreciated

10/18/09  08:22pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Bno   In reference to Message Id: 2085665

What should i do

My advice? Release it, it can survive in the wild, snakes aren’t stupid they can survive in their natural habitat. And then if you release it I suggest that if you really want a snake then you should do research on the snake you want and then buy a captive bred one that is not a problem feeder and isn’t taken from a wild population. It’s always best to not take snakes from the wild.

10/23/09  09:45pm

Bno
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 2088044

First snake (tips)

i agree on most everything you said. i found him outside on the black top with the temp raging from 30 or 40 degrees. it hardly moved when i walked up to it, i picked it up with out a problem and even now it seems like it doesn’t mind being handled. I was able to find some thing that it will eat (goldfish).

Its not like i have no idea what im doing. i have had many different reptiles since i was young it just that i never had a snake. I need to know if they need uvb, if they like a heat pad , if there is different fish i could use for food

10/25/09  08:16pm

Cornsnake chris
View Profile

Message To: Bno   In reference to Message Id: 2088595

First snake (tips)

Garters r one of the most common snakes to handle the cold.U will find alot of them basking on the roadways now that it cooling down.They will all be lathargic do to the freezing temps n usually can be picked rite up like u said.Yours sounds like a newborn n in generall will hold out 3 weeks for thier first meal.They r good eaters n should take fish(minnows),worms,n frogs ive never seen a garter pass up a frog.I live in fl where it is easy to go to any canal n net some guppies.In my case I have watersnakes,ribbons,n garters so i just castnet small fish such as telapia,cichlids,mollies etc. they will eat all types that isnt a issue.If u dont have access i think u will have to be stayin with the goldfish.We just removed 8 garters from the roadside in the everglades last week while herpin.We also saw alot of roadkill which always stinks other finds were 2 corns,4 watersnakes, n 3 ribbons which were all removed off the road n released.Garters r very good pets once they adapt to captivity.Good luck.

10/29/09  12:59pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Cornsnake chris   In reference to Message Id: 2089703

First snake (tips)

Don’t feed it gold fish, they are bad for the snake and can pass on desieses and parisites. It would be best to release it as I said and to get a captive bred one.

11/01/09  01:31pm

Bno
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 2090603

First snake (tips)

i just don’t think it would be good for the snake to release it when its thirty five degrees out side.There is snow all around us (Washington).

11/04/09  02:28am

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Bno   In reference to Message Id: 2091781

First snake (tips)

Well now that the ground is frozen you have to wait for it to thaw. Had you released it it would have gone into hibernation and been fine.

11/07/09  06:24pm

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area