Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Xtine   Rexxaroo   Xtine   Rexxaroo   Cobra 82   Xtine   Repfanatic   Boabab95   Amphibiandude   Xtine   Reptilefreak23   Firebellied man   CapeCobra   BBarr   Adamy   CivicDemon  
 Member  Message

Xtine
View Profile

My new snake my son & i caught :D

please tell me what kind she is & what i should feed her. ive tried a mouse & guppies. how big will she get? she’s 23 1/2 inches now, she has shown no interest in the mouse or guppies. we found her sunday & just today she was chillinj in my hand for quite a while. any advice is greatly appreciated.

08/10/09  11:58pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Xtine   In reference to Message Id: 2054619

she is a beauty but if she isnt eating then let her go. simple as that. snakes are finicky whether they will eat or not because they are stressed out due to enviroment change. feed her mice that are as large as the thickest bart of her body

Rexx

08/11/09  02:11pm

Xtine
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2054919

do the mice have to be alive or dead? babies or grown up? what about crickets or worms? ive really become attatched to her she is very chill now in my hands she has not once nipped at me. tell me what you guys think. tried minows for the opast few days & she has aid no interest. i really have become attatched to this snake i mean the fact that before i would put my fingers in the cage & she would spray that nasty stewntch & now i can hold her in my hands & she doesn nothing but chill with me id say shes coming a long way & is comfortable with mew. so i dunno id hate to let her go if there something good i can feed her. tell me what you guys think! <#

08/12/09  07:20am

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Xtine   In reference to Message Id: 2055358

try an anole or house gecko they usually go for that then you can try an adult mouse LIVE so it sparks her attention. they probably wont go for the fish because she is so large. but if she doesnt start to eat, its because she is stressed and needs to go back in the wild. good luck :D

Rexx

08/12/09  07:43am

Cobra 82
View Profile

Message To: Xtine   In reference to Message Id: 2055358

Try large Rosey red minnows. Garter snakes LOVE earthworms and slugs(nasty, i know ).

08/13/09  12:31am

Xtine
View Profile

Message To: Cobra 82   In reference to Message Id: 2055943

thank you guys so muc! so far i have gathered some stuff from my backyard a worm a spider a moth, a millipede & a rollipolli.... can i try crickets to from the petstore? what do you think? how long can a snake go without eating?

08/13/09  05:20pm

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: Xtine   In reference to Message Id: 2056328

They eat a lot of worms and sometimes fish. The guppies were probably too small for it to think of as food. There’s a great site that’s a lot more active than this forum. It’s thamnophis.com. You’ve got a California red-sided garter, so look up care sheets for them. It will tell you what they eat. If you want to get it on pinkies you will probably have to scent them at first. Anyway, good luck with it.

Brook

08/14/09  05:43pm

Boabab95
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 2057032

to your first question its a red-sided garter snake, for the second question, google it.
link

08/17/09  11:17pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Boabab95   In reference to Message Id: 2059260

seeing as its wild you could let it go and get a captive bred one that is feeding well and isn’t taken from a wild population

08/19/09  03:17pm

Xtine
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 2060392

i finally found what she likes to eat! so its been like 2 weeks now? 3? & ive tried evry bug i could possibly find. spiders, moths, beetles, worms, minnows, mice, crickets, rolli pollies. lol she just didnt care about any of those things whatsoever. . & i was getting really sad because ive become very attatched to her. not to mentioned very worried. so one night i was taking out the garbage & i saw a slug!!! & i thought yay ill try this! so i put it in her tank & the second i put it in there she snatched it! i was so happy! & relieved of course! but now where do i find slugs on a regular basis? its summer time they are never out it seems like where do they all go? anyone know an easy way to find slugs or any tips on where to find them???

08/30/09  02:46am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Xtine   In reference to Message Id: 2065342

Garter snakes do not eat insects. Slugs are not good enough to keep it on a healthy diet. And there is no way to get to thirty large slugs a week. They need to eat minnows or mice (in captivity), if it will except a slug it will eventually except them.

The best thing for the snake is to let it go. If you were to release it it would immediately go out and find the food that helped nourish its body its whole life. It did not ask to not get food for three weeks and be in a cage. And if you buy a captive bred garter snake you will be much happier with a healthier, handle-able, eating, non disease carrying snake.

I do not mean to sound harsh. And I personally love the idea of people loving on snakes, not hating them just because they are serpents. It will just work out alot better for both you and the snake if you let it go.

08/30/09  08:56am

Firebellied man
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 2065387

It is a red sided garter.

10/10/09  08:50am

CapeCobra
View Profile

Message To: Firebellied man   In reference to Message Id: 2082417

What size tank is she in? Try feeding her big worms (nightcrawlers). She should eat those. But if she doesn’t let her go.

03/02/10  01:47pm

BBarr
View Profile

Message To: CapeCobra   In reference to Message Id: 2128861

Some wild caught will never adapt and die. let it go and order a captive born snake and learn all you can.

04/09/10  12:42pm

Adamy
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2054919

cali red sided garter

12/29/10  02:47pm

CivicDemon
View Profile

Message To: Adamy   In reference to Message Id: 2195022

Make sure you have a big water bowl, put some gold fish in there and see if she likes them. thats what mine useto eat, gold fish and frogs.

01/26/11  08:50am

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area