Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Scruffy~n~sage   Animalover96   Reptilefreak23   Scruffy~n~sage   Gottee guy  
 Member  Message

Scruffy~n~sage
View Profile

Exploding Garter Snake.

I really didn’t explode a garter snake. It’s a funny story.

So last Tuesday, my cousin found a garter snake in his yard and told me that I should come get it or he’d chop its head off. (I’m a snake lover, so of course I was at his house in a matter of minutes.)

I took the snake home, set up a tank with newspaper and a water dish until I could figure out what do do with her. I don’t believe in taking animals from the wild as pets. In the two days, I made arrangements with local wildlife allies at the Franciscan Earth Literacy Center to release the snake into their wetlands/ wooded area.

So its Thursday morning, the day I’m supposed to release the snake. I look at her in the cage and see that she has made a mess. It looked like two piles of poop. But then I saw something moving on the far end of the cage. Here it was a teeny tiny garter snake. I was so shocked at this. I was actually in disbelief that the snake had given birth. I removed the mom and saw another baby at the other end. When I got the mom securein a pillow case, I lifted up one piece of newspaper and there were about ten more baby garter snakes. After removing the other piece of newspaper, I discovered about 40 more. The ’piles of poop’ were actually two still born babies. It was a crazy experience.

Instead of showing up at the Earth Literacy Center with just 1 snake, like I said, I showed up with about 51. The lady said that was great that she didn’t give birth in the city, beacause they’d all have a better chance of survival in the country. I felt so proud. It was my first wildlife rehab mission.

07/24/09  12:31pm

Animalover96
View Profile

Message To: Scruffy~n~sage   In reference to Message Id: 2044559

Exploding Garter Snake.

wow cool story!!!! good job!!! :)

07/26/09  10:21pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Animalover96   In reference to Message Id: 2045890

Exploding Garter Snake.

Great story and great title.

07/27/09  04:35pm

Scruffy~n~sage
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 2046192

Exploding Garter Snake.

Thank you. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pics, sorry.

07/28/09  12:02am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Scruffy~n~sage   In reference to Message Id: 2046425

Exploding Garter Snake.

a few days ago i found my pregnant ribbon snake dead in her cage. i had no idea how it died because it was not sick, it was eating well, no parasites or anything. i had to cut it open to see if the babies were alive, but all 12 were dead.

07/28/09  10:28am

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area