Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

K.A.P   Zookid239   K.A.P   Reptilefreak23   K.A.P  
 Member  Message

K.A.P
View Profile

PLEASE ANSWER!!!!

can i keep my baby garter snake in a rubber maid container if so how do i drill holes in the side without making them to big so he wont escape?

07/20/09  04:19pm

Zookid239
View Profile

Message To: K.A.P   In reference to Message Id: 2042274

PLEASE ANSWER!!!!

yes I have and drill holes on the top better yet stab the top with a knife (not with the snake in it)

07/20/09  04:24pm

K.A.P
View Profile

Message To: Zookid239   In reference to Message Id: 2042278

PLEASE ANSWER!!!!

thank you how big should it be its just a baby garter snake and were can i get a container? is it ok to feed it slices of salmon fish?

07/20/09  06:19pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: K.A.P   In reference to Message Id: 2042347

PLEASE ANSWER!!!!

I disagree with zookid. Theres a much more effective, easier, and healthier way to provide ventilation for your snake (not to mention jabbing the top with something almost always causes the surface to crack).
Get a drill gun and use a 1/8 inch drill bit and drill holes in both the top and sides of the container. Drill more holes on the sides than the top of the container to provide much better ventilation. The more holes the better.

The container can be anywhere from 6 quarts to 18 quarts for a little hatchling (though a ten gallon tank does just fine).
A container can be found anywhere, walmarts have a great selection... I advise you get sterilite or rubbermaid.

For a bit, yes its ok to feed it some salmon... though it should be fed a regular diet of guppies. Rosy red minnnows work great for adults, and chopped up rosy reds work very well (however there shouldn’t be a lack in smaller guppy species at pet stores). But if you can’t supply another food source other than salmon, then I don’t have an answer for you. It seems with all these questions you weren’t ready for the snake, as if you hadn’t done proper research beforehand and gotten all the supplies it needed.

(Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m supposing you already have the snake?)

07/20/09  08:03pm

K.A.P
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 2042410

PLEASE ANSWER!!!!

Thing is is that i have had this kind of snake before but it was an adult and ate different things and plus we have been working really hard trying to get this one to eat we tried earthwarms to strips of turkey but nothing has been working plus i caught this garter snake from the wild just like i caught the last one i had. My family is sick of buying pets from the pet store that die in a matter of just 2-3 days.
I have to admit though we were not prepared for this snake in the way of a house for it right now we are keeping it in one of those critter cages you now the plastic ones that you can get from about any store. Im just trying to find it somthing bigger and better to live in.
Good news it just ate a stripe of rainbow trout!!!!! (and my bad i thought it was salmon!)

07/20/09  08:18pm

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area