Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Reptileracer20   Reptilefreak23   Reptileracer20   Reptilefreak23   Reptileracer20   Gottee guy   Reptileracer20   Reptilefreak23   Amphibiandude   Reptilefreak23   Amphibiandude   Momboy   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy  
 Member  Message

Reptileracer20
View Profile

Garder snake question!!!!!

I just bought 2 garder snakes from the pet store and i was wondering if i can house them both together?the one i about 9 inches and the other one is around 6 inches will the bigger one eat the smaller one? Also what can i feed the bigger one than fish and worms? thanks!~~~~Matt

09/28/08  03:51pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Reptileracer20   In reference to Message Id: 1870017

They can be housed together safely , and you can feed them frogs for when they get bigger.
But A healthier (and cheaper) choice is when they get bigger to get them on pinky mice.

ps do you know how to care for them? if not here is a care sheet....

Caging: A single Adult can be housed in 20 Gallon (long) or more. Two Adults should be housed in a 40-60g. (or 3 under right conditions)
Babies do well in groups and can be housed in small containers or cages. Remember baby snakes can be stressed out and will refuse food if tank is to large.

Substrate: I Recommend Aspen bedding for these snakes. (NO CEDAR OR PINE DO TO THEIR TOXINS)
Coconut Fiber substrate (not moistened, to prevent scale rot or Respiratory Infection) is also fine, as well as River bed sand (from streams or lakes). If your snake is captive bred do not use River Bed sand it can lead to various diseases and illness’. Mites and Parasites may appear on snake if using a substrate you brought from outside.
I PERSONALLY USE a 3/5 Aspen bedding 2/5 River bed sand. (River bed sand on one side, slightly moist so it will harden, and Aspen on other, NOT MIXED TOGETHER).

Water: Should be provided with a swimming area or large water bowl (big enough to be able to fit easily inside).
Make sure water is Spring water or is chlorine killed. You can find reptile chlorine killer at any pet shop. Do not Use fish Chlorine killer! This helps produce a slime that covers the fishes body, but will make your snake unable to shed.

Diet: Should be fed Primarily on Rosy Red Feeder Fish (found at any pet shop), night crawlers and earthworms are also good occasional feedings. NO GOLD FISH these fish have thiamine which can kill your snake. Wild Caught minnows carry various diseases and can not be fed. If you can get the snake on pinky mice this is a cheaper and healthier diet.
If feeding mice, Feed one or two pinky mice a week. (best only feed one, but make sure that its not a new born mouse, it should be a good size pinky mouse that has more fat nutrition, and meat on it. This diet can have occasional worms or fish.
Just don’t get them into any unhealthy addictions. Frogs or Toads are also a good food item. I feed my pregnant garters fully on Large Bullfrog Tadpoles.

Lighting, Heating: No UV lighting Required, do best between 75-90 degrease. Under Tank Heater and heat lamps can be used to maintain these temps. Should have a basking spot of at least 90 degrease on hot side. And have ’Cool’ side that is around 75 degrease with a hide that has a clump of damp sphagnum moss, to aid shedding if needed. NO HEAT ROCKS these cause severe burns on your snake.

Hides and Decor: Should have at least 4 hides. Including hide mentioned above. Make sure hides are not to big but just big enough to coil up in. To big of Hides can cause stress. NO Card board toilet paper tubes these are full of bacteria and will kill your snake. Provide branches or vines to climb on. Rocks should be provided as a basking spot or place to burrow
under (Also may aid shedding)

Supplements: Should dust food in Calcium Sup. once a week. If told by vet other Vitamins and Antibiotics should be used as told.

Maintenance: Tank should be cleaned out with ’Zoo med Wipeout 2’ or another disinfectant cleaner. (Water and Vinegar is also fine). When using a disinfectant cleaner always remember to wash out after cleaning and get good ventilation running through it for a few hours. Replace old Substrate and clean off Cage Decor If Mites or Parasites are found on snake use ’Zoo med Mite Off’ (Follow directions on bottle). If it has a wound or burn it should immediatly be taken to vet and Use ’Zoomed Repti Wound Healing Aid’ (Follow directions on bottle)

Brumating: These snakes have no need to hibernate and I would never do so unless babies stop feeding and are not in shed. But if doing so 55 degrease is the optimum temperature of hibernation. When hibernating, place them in complete darkness, provide them with fresh water and check on them periodically. But If you just want to do it, fatten your snake up and then hibernate it. After a large feeding wait 3 or 4 weeks to let any urine or fecal matter come out. THEN you can put them under.
ONCE AGAIN I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS it can risk your snakes life. But some people like to do it as an experiment and this is the safest way to do it.

Good Luck!

09/28/08  05:24pm

Reptileracer20
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1870080

thanks i will house them together in a 40 gallon thanks for the care sheet! I helped alot! I will keep posted on how there doing. thanks again!

09/28/08  06:43pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Reptileracer20   In reference to Message Id: 1870145

cool!
know how to post pics?

09/28/08  10:11pm

Reptileracer20
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1870373

Dude im so mad the bigger one ate the smaller one!!! Do you know why this happend?

09/28/08  11:56pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptileracer20   In reference to Message Id: 1870444

that sucks.
maybe the smaller one had a fish or worm scent on it, and the bigger one thought it was a worm?

09/29/08  03:43pm

Reptileracer20
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1870773

maybe... idk

09/29/08  07:34pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Reptileracer20   In reference to Message Id: 1870953

oh... no... it didnt eat the smaller one on purpose, there is no scenting factor to it... Did you feed them together? this is th only way it could have happeened , they must have bit the same fish and snakes cant let go so it hag to carry on eating.
im so sry, This RARELY happens, garters usually do better in pairs or small colonies.
well, good luck with the remaining one. Contact me if you have any more ?’s
once again im sry for your loss
God Bless!

09/30/08  07:07pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1871837

yo spelled garter wrong its a "t" not a "d"

10/01/08  07:55am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 1872223

no I didnt... and thats off topic, so yes end of hijack.... back on subject

10/01/08  10:00pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1872824

i wasnt talkin to you

10/02/08  07:54pm

Momboy
View Profile

Message To: Reptileracer20   In reference to Message Id: 1870017

yes the bigger one will eat the smaller one and u can feed the big one little pink mice

06/21/09  02:21pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Momboy   In reference to Message Id: 2026468

This post is over a year old. I’m sure this person has figured out what to do by now.

06/21/09  03:39pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 2026504

tsk tsk tsk...

06/21/09  10:35pm

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area