Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Snake_dude92   Reptilefreak23   Snake_dude92   Reptilefreak23   TIMSNAKR   Reptilefreak23   Zip chew2   Reptilefreak23   Amphibiandude   Reptilefreak23   Reptilefreak23   Amphibiandude   Reptilefreak23   Amphibiandude   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy   Kimmiehp   Kelso reptiles  
 Member  Message

Snake_dude92
View Profile

Garter snake- new setup!

Well i had my garter snake in kinda a small cruddy setup, and so i decided 2 move her ( and my turtle ) into a new enclosure. I was worried at first because the setup seemed alittle to aqautic for my garter snake, but to my surpise she seems to b doing very well, she loves spending her time in the under water log and is handling the new diet of bass minnows very well. the take is filters and heatewd so thats not a problem. The turtle and the snake get along fine and neither oine has any form of mites or ( last time i had them checked) parasites. I would like 2 get some advice from some of you more expierenced herpers and see what u think. thx 4 the help!

05/01/08  09:38pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Snake_dude92   In reference to Message Id: 1722699

Garter snake- new setup!

First... that is WAY to aquatic for him. He is a reptile not a fish.
Second... bass minnows are full of parasites which can kill the snake
Third... That snake will try to eat the turtle and in the breeding season will probably just kill it all together. (territorial)
Fourth.. the bass you feed them WILL cause parasites which then both reptiles will get
Fith... Turtles carry salamonella which WILL kill the snake
Sixth... they both have their eyes open under water and will cause diseases between the two (eye diseases..which are common with turtles
Seventh... That wet enviroment will cause the snake shedding problems
Eighth... The snake NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO BURROW!!!!!!!!!!!!! or will cause stress which can lead to death.
Nine... To different species housed together creates MASSIVE STRESS which will probably lead to death
Tenth... They both have different heating and lighting needs
Eleventh... The snake needs to be able to run around and climb and get exercise
Twelve... One nocturnal and one diurnal
Thirteenth... If they do miraculasly manage to shed they will eat each others shed and that will tranfer diseases

These are the problems with your tank and reptiles

05/01/08  10:20pm

Snake_dude92
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1722763

Garter snake- new setup!

well i thank you for some of the information but , garter snakes are pretty aqautic, i mention both have been checked for diseases. and if what you are saying is true then my northern water snakes shouldnt be eating the minnows which is a main food source for that species, i feed my garter minnows( not wild caught but from the bass pro shops ) for awhile now not just as usuall. I have added a new platform that is full of reptibark, as garter can devolope skin problem with out some dry substrate, i have added its own water dish to the top layer so in case if the water in the lower section becomes a little to unsanitary ( doubtful since i clean it ever 2days). Burrowing was an issue i had worried about for awhile and thx 2 u and a few others i have added the new platform( tell me if reptibark is an issue but im pretty sure its fine). The heating requirements for both 70-80 degrees so thats not a problem. keep mind i have gotten this information from others online and from care sheets from people ho are very expienced and havent let me down yet.

05/02/08  08:22am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Snake_dude92   In reference to Message Id: 1723017

Garter snake- new setup!

You didnt listen to any thing I told you...

This will GREATLY shorten your garters life.

And turtles... they are feces eaters.. so they can pick up diseases with the ’’check for parrasites by vet"

AND THIS WILL KILL YOUR GARTER...................STRESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is a snake not a fish......

and also you said that you get them at bass pro... that doesnt change the AMAZINGLY LARGE amounts of diseases and parrasites.

Repti bark will be swallowed by your turtle killing it

And once again........what about SALAMENELLA??????????????

and also the eye diseases that turtles carry will tranfere to the snake.

and also... why are you saying iim not experianced ?... Ive bred the species for 7 years and sell all the time

"and have’nt let me down yet"
ARE you saying these "experianced PEople" are totally agreing with what you are doing??????????????

And

’ thankyou for your info, but garters are aquatic"

Are you just totally throughing all my advice out the door?

Just remember... you dont have to defend your self as an owner.... just do what is right for the snake

Look again at the page I wrote about whats wrong with your settup.

05/02/08  11:02pm

TIMSNAKR
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1723704

Garter snake- new setup!

Believe him ^.

Its either maybe 50 less dollars in your wallet because you have to get another cage
or you could keep it like that and lose about half the life of each animal.

Tim

05/03/08  01:40am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: TIMSNAKR   In reference to Message Id: 1723761

Garter snake- new setup!

And also... For that sized eastern garter , he needs WAY more than a ten gallon aquarium........Not a fish, A snake

05/03/08  11:57am

Zip chew2
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1722763

Garter snake- new setup!

very very very true

05/07/08  07:37pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Zip chew2   In reference to Message Id: 1728520

Garter snake- new setup!

Please listen

05/08/08  05:29pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1729522

Garter snake- new setup!

they arent entirely aquatic dude all they need is a preety big water bowl and just feed it rosies not bass both animals will thank you if you listen to us and connor wats with all the gaps?

05/17/08  11:36pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 1738737

Garter snake- new setup!

Bump... I know this is an old post but I want to see if he has changed his tank yet

05/20/08  11:48pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1741938

Garter snake- new setup!

BUMP

05/23/08  07:30pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1744424

Garter snake- new setup!

hi im back

05/27/08  08:22am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 1747834

Garter snake- new setup!

BUMP!!!!!
i think I scares him off... I hope that poor snake is ok.

05/27/08  03:33pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1748155

Garter snake- new setup!

dang connor you scary

05/28/08  09:02am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 1748968

Garter snake- new setup!

lol........BUMP!!!!!!!

06/10/08  09:03pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1757353

Garter snake- new setup!

he ran away from RZ.for sure.

06/12/08  10:23pm

Kimmiehp
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1759310

Garter snake- new setup!

I TOTALLY agree! I was feeding mine minnows from the bass pro shop too! I am VERY sure that’s what killed him! Because they have to use certain chemicals in their water to keep it from getting slimy and those chemicals will kill the snake! I’m sure that’s what happened we had ours 3 yrs and I was getting them from the pet store where they were breeding just for the snakes and all... but they closed and then I went to the bass shop not thinking at at all and the 2nd feeding I went in there the next day and he had died and it was awful he had died in an awful position like he suffered I called up there and they told me that they had to use some chemicals in there so I pretty sure that’s what happened! And after taking care of cousins turtles for about a yr I sent them back! LOL! That’s not good!!!

07/07/08  02:52pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Snake_dude92   In reference to Message Id: 1722699

Garter snake- new setup!

DONT LISTEN TO THE GUY BELOW THEY ARE AQATIC BUT NOT THAT MUCH
IT WILL NOT TRY TO KILL YOUR TURTLE
IT WONT GET DESESES FROM THE FISH BUT THEY LIKE FROGS BETTER
ALL ANIMALS HAVE SAMINELA EVEN HUMANS
ALSO YOU SHULDENT USE MESH BECAUSE THE SNAKE WILL RUB ITS NOSE ON IT AND IT WILL GET INFECTED
OTHER THEN THAT NICE SNAKE AND NICE SETUP

02/16/11  07:49pm

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area