Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jessieadf   Allielover  

Member  Message

Jessieadf
View Profile

African dwarf frogs fungal infection

I recently bought my first frogs and I’m realizing that I didn’t know enough about these guys before I bout them to know that they were already sick when I bought them : ( they are showing symptoms of a fungal infection and it’s pretty advanced at this point. They’re all struggling to get air and climbing a out of the water. I read some stuff online about a certain ingredient in eye drops that cure them pretty rapidly. I was hoping someone knew of a specific brand of eye drops that is safe for them, they all seem to have a ton of other ingredients in them and I don’t know which ones are safe and which aren’t. I’ve literally had these guys for less than a week, they were $2.50 each and I was not expecting to have to pay hundreds of dollars to take them to the vet, but I also don’t want them to die. Any advice is appreciated. Also, I bought them at pet smart and I was going to bring them back in hopes they would have the resources to save them but they sounded like idiots over the phone and honestly I think they have more of a chance with me so hopefully I can find a solution fast. Please help!

10/16/14  04:37pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Jessieadf   In reference to Message Id: 2310359

African dwarf frogs fungal infection

Idk witch eye drops to use, but I know you can put polysporin on them. Cleaning the tank might help too. Lots of pet stores and vets know very little about herp medicine and healing. I found this out the hard way with my lizards. They cost me nothing other than food and their home supply’s until one died of a mouth/cheak infection, I asked all pet stores within a 2 hour drive, no one suggested much more than a saline solution. So when his sibling got the same thing months later I tried 80$ worth of vet prescribed drugs. He suffered longer, but still died. Same with the other sibling with this deformity. The mother of these 3 and 2 others grew tumors and died within a month( she was old) the only sugestions the vet had for her was an ultrasound, an x ray or an autopsy when she died. I had to tell him what kind of lizard they were and what they normally feel like.this same vet saved one of my old dogs from during twice.

I now work at a pet smart( in the grooming salon) they have a long online questionnaire for every position, but seems like its mostly to figure out if you can understand and speak English and are not a robot. No were on any of them does it ask about if your knowledgeable about various animals(birds, rodents,fish,herps,bugs,larger mammals) once before I got hired I showed one employee how to tell the difference between male and female Guppy’s :p. They also don’t ask if you fear or refuse to work with certain animals(certain dog breeds or crickets for example).

Your best bet is if you don’t want to spend a lot of $ then you have to try to experiment, I know it sounds bad, but I have healed injerys on my herps and fish before. If you feel time is running out for your frogs I’d choose the eye drops with the least ingredients (or sailine) or maybe try one of the anti fungal treatments for fish. Also if they’re getting thin and not eating try live food, if that doesn’t work you can try force feeding them, but with most animals that give up eating they’ve also given up on living.

Sorry if none of this helped.please let me know with an update.
Allielover

10/20/14  02:44am

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area