Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Toadsrule   Takahiro111   Crotus   Toadsrule   Takahiro111   Lee83   KrazyKelli   Chorusfrog  

Member  Message

Toadsrule
View Profile

Best frog for young children?

Hello everyone! So I want to know what frog is best for a pet for young children. I have a 2 year old niece and I wanna know what Frog is best for her age that she can hold and not have it jump away constantly and that’s hardy. What do you all suggest?

07/02/14  03:31pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Toadsrule   In reference to Message Id: 2306578

I’m not sure which you want but here are some....I never had a frog but I researched and asked experts for you. I’m mor experienced in snakes and lizards lol but here ya go:

*American green tree frogs
*Dwarf frogs
*Pacman frog
*White tree frog
*Oriental fire bellied toad
*African clawed frog

07/06/14  01:30am

Crotus
View Profile

I must tell you that no frog or toad really enjoys being held -- they should be considered display animals basically, like aquarium fish.

07/12/14  04:10pm

Toadsrule
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2307158

Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll look into them. And yeah she seems to want to look at them more than touch/hold them. But I thought you couldn’t touch a fire bellied toad because of their skin....

07/13/14  10:17pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Toadsrule   In reference to Message Id: 2307201

No problem:) but I’m more of a lizard and snake person only frogs I had was the little ones my lizard/snakes eat. But I only found theses listed as good ones to keep I’m not sure about the skin or touching but I think crotus is right about them being display animals...I’ve seen some frogs that allow handling but they were big ones not small I also asked my cousin who keep dart frogs and he also said frogs are meant to be looked at.

07/14/14  12:12am

Lee83
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2307204

Fire belly toads have a toxin in their system which can cause irritation to the skin. Not a good idea for a 2 year old? Kids put their fingers in their mouth a lot so she may get sick! I would say something larger like a pacman, I have west African ornate frogs that are big enough to hold and hardy enough to not care but you need to make sure hands are clean before touching the frogs and wet too. Fire belly s ate nice to watch with them being so active. I wouldn’t go for a bull frog as they can become quite aggressive later in age. and

09/19/14  10:13am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lee83   In reference to Message Id: 2309822

I’d say wait until the kid is a little older. Like Lee said, really young kids don’t understand proper hygiene and will randomly put their hands in their mouths after any endeavor. That runs the risk of the child acquiring something such as e.coli or salmonella, which are far more present in aquatic species of reptile and amphibian. Kids in their terrible two’s can also be unpredictable/roudy and may harm a small animal by accident.

Now a fun project I did as a child (~ 8 years old) was to put some tadpoles in a fish bowl with some land up the side of it and watch them grow into frogs, then release the frogs when they were old enough. This was, of course, with native frogs. I also had no other pet reptiles/amphibians at the time, so there was no real risk of cross contamination. If you have other lizards, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you planned to keep the frogs/toads indefinitely.

I also had pet fish when I was really young. They, of course, stayed in the tank out of reach. Loved fish. Got to go to the pet store and pick them out. Had tetras.

09/19/14  07:18pm

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Bull frog or green frog. To big to be damaged easily, hardy, and pretty docile.

07/05/15  04:09pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area