Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amberrr64   Amberrr64   The Lone Glider   Rokdog   Zebrafrog25   Chorusfrog   Tadpoles38   Chorusfrog  

Member  Message

Amberrr64
View Profile

Found frogs in my friend’s pool...

Hi. First time here. We found a ton of tadpoles/baby frogs in my friend’s pool. My 4 year old started catching them and hubby thought it would be cool to keep them as pets. We spent $100 on a "reptile" tank, lid, filter, light, sitting rock, gravel, water treatment etc. Started with 21 frogs this morning. Two got out, even though the lid is on and I covered the corners with tape. (The corners were open) Unfortunately my cat killed one. He dried up fairly quickly, we were gone for 3 hours and I don’t know how long he was out but he was dry. Anyway I caught the other one that escaped and put him back in but I noticed most of the frogs are sitting at the very top, right under the lid. I’ve put something heavy on the lid in case they are somehow moving it, they must be because I have no clue how they’d get out.

My question is, how do I get them to move down towards the water so I can open the lid for cleaning? Can I spray them with water? Blow air on them? Sorry if these are dumb questions, total newbie. I had one tiny frog similar to these as a pet when I was in high school and I was told to feed him blood worms. He never jumped out of the bowl though. These guys are agile!!

05/27/13  12:00am

Amberrr64
View Profile

Message To: Amberrr64   In reference to Message Id: 2297750

I’ve scoured the internet and I believe I have yellow legged mountain frogs or "rana muscosa". I have found 4 dead so far. :(

05/27/13  11:43pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Amberrr64   In reference to Message Id: 2297791

frogs are masters of escape. they can squeeze through small openings and have many ways of escape. For one thing you should never take frogs or any animal out of the wild.. its never good. They will always die or escape and die. especially if you don’t know what you’re doing. second, are these adults now? how long have you had them? take a picture of all o them and post pics. also the ones you posted aren’t working, can you re-post them? how many do you have left?

06/08/13  08:55am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2298290

release them to a pond near you as they will have a much better chance of survival
& a better life than waiting to become cat food

06/08/13  09:43am

Zebrafrog25
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2298291

the same things happen with my fire belly toads they always get out and dry up.

06/18/13  12:06pm

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2298290

Just push them gently with your finger, and The Lone Glider, I got all of my frogs from my pond outside and they are all still living, it’s been a few months. Get yer facts strait!!!!!! ☺️

07/05/15  04:12pm

Tadpoles38
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2314160

I found you chorusfrog!

I found you!

12/29/15  07:25pm

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: Tadpoles38   In reference to Message Id: 2316337

I found you chorusfrog!

What? I was never lost.....O.O