Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ttwitty   Crotus   Ttwitty   Ttwitty   Ttwitty   Ttwitty   Crotus   Crotus   Ttwitty  

Member  Message

Ttwitty
View Profile

Tomatoe frog is sick

We have had our tomato frog for about a month and almost over night it has a big red kind of bloody looking bump near it’s anus. Does anyone know what this is? We are really worried about it.

04/25/13  11:16pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Ttwitty   In reference to Message Id: 2296310

Tomatoe frog is sick

Can you post a picture? Anyhow, it sounds to me like it may a bacterial infection... if that is the problem (which seems likely) then I recommend gently swabbing the affected area with a moistened Qtip dipped in a drop of clear antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or similar product. Do this once daily and see if there is any improvement... Also it might be a good idea to put down a fresh new substrate in the terrarium. (What are you using for that? I recommend a well-drained mixture of equal parts fertilizer-free topsoil, peat moss and all-purpose silica sand, underlain with coarse medium sized pebbles for good drainage). Excellent drainage is extremely important because if the soil gets too soggy, that can encourage the proliferation of harmful bacteria, fungi, etc.

04/26/13  02:14pm

Ttwitty
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2296336

Tomatoe frog is sick

IMG_0588.jpg

04/26/13  11:19pm

Ttwitty
View Profile

Message To: Ttwitty   In reference to Message Id: 2296359

Tomatoe frog is sick

tomato frog

04/28/13  12:05pm

Ttwitty
View Profile

Tomatoe frog is sick

04/28/13  12:07pm

Ttwitty
View Profile

Tomatoe frog is sick

We were putting the antibiotic ointment on his lump and there was a lot of fluid so we removed some of that and then feces immediately came gushing through. Bump is a little smaller but still very much there. So now we are worried his bowels do not function and that he will die. They told us to feed him medium sized crickets at the pet store and I thought that seemed large for him, so we are going to try smaller crickets. Does anyone have any other ideas on his care or feeding?

04/28/13  12:10pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Ttwitty   In reference to Message Id: 2296434

Tomatoe frog is sick

Based on this picture, it looks like your frog actually has a rectal prolapse, which means that part of its intestines have popped out of its anus. This sounds worse than it really often is, it is usually caused by an impaction when the frog swallows something too large that it cannot pass.

I have researched the problem for you and found someone on Herp Center Network who had the same problem, with a tomato frog also... Their advice is basically as follows: You should emporarily take the frog off the substrate and house it on clean, moist paper towels. Then make a sugar solution consisting of 1 or 2 tbsp of powdered sugar dissolved in 1 cup of warm water (about 82 degrees) Soak the frog in this solution and leave him in it until the swelling goes down hopefully...

The principle behind this is that the sugar solution will absorb the excess water osmotically from the swelling. Repeat again if necessary each day but for the time being until the problem is corrected, leave him on paper towels.

Please try this right away and keep me posted about the results.... in the future please make an effort to insure that there are no large rocks, pieces of wood etc in his enclosure thst could create impactions.... also keep the feeder insects on te small side.

Good luck... again, please keep me posted and I urge you to try this immediately.

04/28/13  05:44pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2296454

Tomatoe frog is sick

PS. When you soak the frog in the solution, the water should, of course, be shallow enough for the frog’s nostrils to be above the surface.

04/28/13  05:49pm

Ttwitty
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2296455

Tomatoe frog is sick

Thank you so much! We have started doing what you suggested and are hoping for good results. I will definitely let you know how everything goes.

04/28/13  11:42pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area