Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SilverRaiyne   SilverRaiyne   Crotus   Crotus  

Member  Message

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Feel like such a nube :-(

Ok, so one of my D. azures i noticed it really (really!) fat right now. At first i thought maybe shes "pregnant" --in the loosest sense of the word, i’m not an idiot, i know frogs don’t technically get pregnant, they lay eggs. Anyways, i never set out to breed frogs, i just like keeping them happy and healthy, but i knew the two blue ones have been doing everything it takes to make tadpoles. I set up a few little egg laying spots in the enclosure for her just in case. but here’s the deal...i don’t actually know if she’s a she, i’m worried i may be going through all of this and find out what i really have is a sick fat frog :-( i noticed this morning that she was sitting there doing that thing where she opens her mouth over and over again and she was kinda stretching her body out at the same time, kinda like maybe she couldn’t swallow? ahhh, i’m just so stressed out over it right now, I really don’t want to lose one of my frogs, and i have no clue what to do if she actually is gravid, like i said, i never set out to breed them, i’m not set up for it :-( *insert cuss word here!*

04/09/13  10:10am

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2295339

So, Still no baby blue frogs, I went ahead and read up on t quite a bit and put in a few low level water dishes inside coconut huts just in case she is gravid. On another note i did have babies...kittens :-) Have a great weekend!

04/13/13  09:55pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2295608

I have not yet kept poison dart frogs so my knowledge of them is limited, but I know that they normally have very hearty appetites when they are in good health and will eat large amounts of pinhead crickets on a daily basis... is this one eating well? In my experience if a herp is feeding properly, then generally it is in good health.

04/16/13  03:29pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2295741

Yes if it is gravid, it certainly will need a shallow water pool to lay its eggs into... these do go through a tadpole stage like most other frogs.

04/16/13  03:31pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area