Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Uncertainsky   Uncertainsky   The Lone Glider   Crotus  

Member  Message

Uncertainsky
View Profile

Jelp needed with FBT injury!

My FBT has had some trouble the past few days with his left front limb. It started out becoming very swollen and he would not use it. Yesterday the skin split and I can see bone but the swelling is minimal.

TANKS
The main tank is a 20 gallon long half water half land via tetrafauna viquarium. Which he shares with 4 other FBTs. Land side substrate is sphagnum and frog moss. Temps are 77-82 day/ 73-75 night.

His quarantine tank is a standard 10gal with frog moss for substrate and a water dish. Temps are the same as above at night and 3-5 degrees hotter during day.

TREATMENT SO FAR
When his arm was just really swollen I would soak him in his water dish with warm water with 3 drops of melafix. The water bowl is not very big. But now that his skin split down to bone I have been using zoo meds repti wound healing aid. One drop on his arm twice a day since yesterday, and still soak him twice a day 4 hours after using the zoo med drops. The bleeding has stopped. No other part of him seems to be wrong still brightly colored and very active and eyes seem fine. The only other thing is he hasn’t eaten in 3 days but I’m not too worried about that yet.

What else can I do to help heal his arm up?! I am aware they may selfamputate am am prepared to give him the special ccare he’ll need but I want to save his arm if I can.

Thanks for the help!

02/24/13  04:48pm

Uncertainsky
View Profile

Message To: Uncertainsky   In reference to Message Id: 2292664

I know it says jelp not help. I am posting from my phone and do not know how to edit submitted posts yet. Sorry

02/24/13  04:51pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Uncertainsky   In reference to Message Id: 2292665

I would say just keep doing what you are doing, keep it clean and keep the water clean, if any worse I’m not really sure.. Make sure to keep it really really moist in their cage and the humidity is up, other wise the skin can dry out, it kind of sounds like that is what happened.. I would give them coco fiber, or unfertilized dirt mainly with just a little moss here and there.

02/24/13  11:07pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Uncertainsky   In reference to Message Id: 2292664

Hey i’m not sure how effective that Melafix stuff is, never tried it, but I have another suggestion that might be better, which has actually worked for me in some cases. If the injured area is due to a bacterial infection (which is what I would guess) I recommend applying a small amount of clear antibiotic ointment (such as Neosporin, but not a white ointment like zinc oxide) with a moistened Q-tip, to the affected area (only at the spot that is cut or swollen) once daily; it is somewhat waterproof so it might do a much better job sealing up the wounded area. Please give this idea a try and let me know if there is any improvement.

02/28/13  02:58pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area