Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ianb   The Lone Glider   The Lone Glider   Ianb   The Lone Glider  

Member  Message

Ianb
View Profile

Albino Bullfrog Breeding????

Hello everyone I have an albino bulfrog that just recently became bullfrog I also have two regular, one missing an eye and one missing a leg (cant I pick em) and the smaller one missing the eye i was hoping to breed with the albino to maybe get more albinos so i was wondering. How old do bullfrogs need to be to breed?is there a specific size cage or setup you need to breed them?and finally how do you tell the difference between Male and female?
thanks
Ianb

10/07/12  01:49pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Ianb   In reference to Message Id: 2282345

As an average rule, you shouldn’t breed an animal till at the very least they reach their second year of life, but I personally wait till 3 years just to be safe. A single Bull Frog needs ALOT of space, and if you have 3, you will need even more space. Breeding, would require more space as well.

(These are big frogs and need room to swim, and a lot of spaces to hide..) I wouldn’t suggest breeding any of the frogs you have, If they have deficiencies it will affect how well the babies come out, and you could loose the Mom from too much stress.

I would take the one that is missing a leg and put it in it’s own cage all together, the others may try to pick on him/her..

I have never breed bull frogs, and I wouldn’t suggest doing it. If you really want to raise them, Get a really big tank, and get some that are wild(normally I would NEVER suggest this, but to be honest, I have done it a time or 2...) Tadpoles, and put them in a big tank, and raise them to adult hood and release them when they get all or their legs and loose their tale and can make it on their own. and if you get some deformed ones, and have enough room to keep it, then I would say it’s okay. I use to raise them and get albinos and give them to Burr Oaks. (a wildlife place in my area) I hope this helps...

10/07/12  10:20pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2282381

Oh, and this is how I tell, The outer ear (tympanum) is larger on the male, but only slightly. The frog is usually a male if the outer ear has a larger diameter than the frog’s eye; conversely, the female’s ear is normally smaller than the width of the eye.

Identify the male from the female bullfrog by the color of the throat, but only during the frog’s mating season. In northern parts of the bullfrog’s range, the mating season lasts from May through July. In southern states, the mating season is much longer -- from February to October. The male’s throat is yellowish during this time, but the female’s throat is whitish.
But That is just me..

10/07/12  10:26pm

Ianb
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2282383

cool thank you that does help.

10/09/12  08:23pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Ianb   In reference to Message Id: 2282524