Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

The Lone Glider   Herp Helper   The Lone Glider  

Member  Message

The Lone Glider
View Profile

What to feed FBT’s and can anyone suggest another type of toad?

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that my friend used for fish, and gave to me, and I wanted to get some FBTs to put in it, I have Sphagnum moss and coco fiber, and everything they need, basically, I was wondering What size crickets to feed them? I have heard much debate on this.. and If people could tell me just general care info and post/send pics of their tanks. That would be appreciated. also thinking about getting into Toads more, any suggestions besides FBT’s?

09/24/12  09:08pm

Herp Helper
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2281323

40 gallons is pretty big. You could probably fit 8 toads or so in there comfortably.

Crickets size is gauged according to the width of the head. (length of the cricket equivalent to the width of the head of the toad) Although, that doesn’t stop FBTs, they’ll eat anything that moves. Still, it’s best to to stick with food that doesn’t pose a choking hazard.

As far as cages - the overall best bet is to do a shore-line type vivaria (I used a glass divider to separate the water and the land section). But, if that isn’t your cup of tea, you could use a good-sized water dish (make sure it’s deep enough the frogs can fully submerge, or even float/swim). The main problem with a water dish is you’ll have to change the water daily/every other day. The toads are pretty messy.

I’ll include a pic of the tank I have them in right now. The pic was taken when everything was picture-perfect, but you’ll get the basic idea of it.

09/24/12  11:14pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Herp Helper   In reference to Message Id: 2281330

I wanted about 6. I am hoping for mostly males, Because I like the sound they make. Very calming. Lol.But would I have to worry about them fighting? Or picking on the females? I mainly deal with Pacmans and I wanted to go more into Toads. I also have Vietnamese Mossy frogs. I do have a gall divider for the tank, and I have a very good filter because I heard they were messy. Do you know any other Toads?

09/25/12  01:38am

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area