Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

KitKat12   Crotus   KitKat12   Crotus   KitKat12   Crotus   KitKat12   SilverRaiyne   KitKat12   Crotus   KitKat12  

Member  Message

KitKat12
View Profile

Poison dart frogs?

Are poison dart frogs poisonous in captivity?

07/30/12  10:02pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: KitKat12   In reference to Message Id: 2274994

Poison dart frogs?

For some reason, captive bred poison darts (which are the ones you should buy, because they are best adapted to captivity, are parasite free and don’t impact wild populations by collecting) seem to lose their toxicity. No one is totally sure why but it probably is related to their diet -- in the wild they eat ants or other insects that accumulate toxic substances from poisonous plants, and this helps them to defend themselves from predators. In captivity they eat non-toxic prey like pinhead crickets which are perfectly good for them, but are missing those chemicals.

It is still recommended, however, that you avoid handling them because they are extremely delicate and easily stressed.

07/31/12  04:40pm

KitKat12
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2275067

Poison dart frogs?

Oh ok thanks but i can hold once in a while cant i and how much do they cost?

07/31/12  09:48pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: KitKat12   In reference to Message Id: 2275107

Poison dart frogs?

Well, as I’ve said, it’s best that you avoid handling them unless you have to, such as when you are moving them into a new tank, but even then it’s best to use a dipnet because they are so small and delicate... these frogs should really be considered to be display animals only, that should be appreciated as part of a rainforest type terrarium. They are not cheap to buy; even the most common types are seldom less than $25 each and the rarer types can be $100 each or even more -- they do best when kept in groups of a single species because that’s how they are used to living in their natural habitat... To be completely honest with you, I personally have kept various types of frogs for many years but have not yet been brave enough to try these because they are so delicate and expensive, and definitely not for beginners. Why not try a more common species like fire bellied toads or treefrogs -- these types are much easier to care for cost much less, but are just as interesting to keep in my opinion. In fact, there is one type of small treefrog from the tropics called a "clown treefrog" which is almost as colorful as a poison dart frog but easier to keep, not too expensive ($25 each or so usually; they eat small crickets and have good appetites) -- You might want to set up a rainforest terrarium with a few of them, but make sure that you keep a secure screen top in place at all type to prevent them from escaping. (That goes for fire bellied toads also!)

08/01/12  06:12pm

KitKat12
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2275205

Poison dart frogs?

oh ok im thinkin about gettin a whites tree frog.

08/01/12  07:19pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: KitKat12   In reference to Message Id: 2275213

Poison dart frogs?

That would be a good choice -- White’s treefrogs are very hardy and easy to keep, also not expensive, but grow to a large size!

08/02/12  04:21pm

KitKat12
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2275359

Poison dart frogs?

yea i want a big frog.

08/02/12  05:51pm

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Message To: KitKat12   In reference to Message Id: 2275373

Poison dart frogs?

yup, if you want a big frog you can handle then definitely go with a white’s tree frog. they are very laid back and look like they’re smiling all the time, i call mine my peaceful Buddha frog, she always seems so content and doesn’t mind being held either. I also have poison dart frogs as well, and they stay very small and you really can’t touch them, not unless something is happening that you absolutely have to touch them, and even then make sure you wash your hands before and after. they are very small and can easily get hurt and their skin is really delicate so if you have anything like lotion or even sweat on your hands they will absorb it and it can cause sickness and even death, and like the person above said, they are not a cheap hobby to get into, their enclosures will set you back a good couple hundred dollars just to get everything set up properly for them (especially if you have an automated system, which is best to easily maintain the light and humidity they need) plus the frogs themselves are super expensive, even if you know a breeder and can get them at cheaper than pet store prices because no frog wants to live by themselves, they prefer to live in colonies. If you ever do decide to go with dart frogs definitely make sure you research them as thoroughly as possible before you go out and buy some.

08/03/12  12:28pm

KitKat12
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2275522

Poison dart frogs?

oh ok ill just stick with a whites tree frog.

08/03/12  12:35pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: KitKat12   In reference to Message Id: 2275527

Poison dart frogs?

Hey, you won’t regret it, WTFs are a great pet frog... like Silver Rayne said above, they are very hardy and calm, and don’t mind some handling. But they do grow large and have big appetites, so you have to be ready to feed them large amounts of crickets!

08/06/12  05:33pm

KitKat12
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2275824

Poison dart frogs?

Im gonna wait a while to get one though because im gettin a bearded dragon this weekend.

08/06/12  05:37pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area