Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sewawkward   Crotus   Peewee1989  

Member  Message

Sewawkward
View Profile

FBT help please

My son brought home a European fire belly toad . During the school year it was housed with 2 anoles in a 10 gal. aquarium. It is currently in a 35 gal aquarium we set up last night. We have about 1/3 of the aquarium as rock/moss land the rest is about 1.5-2 inches of water with aquarium gravel on the bottom. We also have a coconut hut and a piece of drift wood for hiding spots.

I want to get him (I’m guessing its a he) a tank mate or two and am wondering if oriental fire belly toads would be okay to house with him. None of the local pet stores sell European FBTs.

I am also wondering about the aquarium set up and care. Should I get some sort of filter for the water if so what kind? As I said last night we set up the aquarium for him and this morning the water is already quite murky looking. (I used tap water treated with reptisafe.) Should his diet consist mainly of crickets or can we give mealworms as a treat? What sort of lighting is needed? Should I used a under tank heater to keep the water warm?

05/26/12  01:43pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Sewawkward   In reference to Message Id: 2267735

FBT help please

Hi,
I am pressed for time at the moment but can give you just a couple of quick answers.
Oriental FBTs would probably be OK with it, they are very similar, although I can’t say I’m 100% certain they are not toxic to each other.
FBTs definitely appreciate full spectrum fluorescent lighting, on during the day, off at night (located above the tank)
Make sure you have a tight-fitting screen top in place at all times, because firebelly toads are notorious escape artists.
More later :-)

05/26/12  05:15pm

Peewee1989
View Profile

Message To: Sewawkward   In reference to Message Id: 2267735

FBT help please

Hey how can u tell if it
laid a egg?

06/19/12  11:48pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area