Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fire bellied friendz   Crotus   Herp Helper   Crotus   SilverRaiyne  

Member  Message

Fire bellied friendz
View Profile

Fire bellied toads

OK so i got a fire bellied toad he is hella kool an i named him skittles .but i need to know is it OK to hold them ? i got him cuz i was looking for a small friend that is still pretty uhhmm exotic i guess and also is it possible that if my toad doesn’t kill the cricket it is eating all the way the cricket might eat its way out from my toad can this happen ?? please tips and facts are much appreciated thanks to all>

05/09/12  01:39pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Fire bellied friendz   In reference to Message Id: 2265786

Fire bellied toads

It’s best to avoid handling them because that can stress them out... FBTs are very tough and can eat surprisingly large crickets for their size, but to be on the safe side, it might be best to feed them only soft-bodied, medium-sized crickets, not the big nasty ones with the wings...

FBTs are semiaquatic and like to divide their time between land and water. A good setup for them can be made by using silicon sealant to glue a glass divider (with sanded edges) into a 10 or 15 gallon tank (the larger the better)... the setup I have in mind would look like this one that I used for a long time for some firebelly newts:

05/09/12  05:17pm

Herp Helper
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2265807

Fire bellied toads

How would you go about sanding the edges of the glass?

07/27/12  05:46pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Herp Helper   In reference to Message Id: 2274726

Fire bellied toads

Just ask them to sand the edges for you at the glass shop when you have them cut it for you; it’s a very routine thing for them.

07/30/12  06:47pm

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2274958

Fire bellied toads

they can sand it or you at the shop you buy it at, or what i did was that i bought some small diameter tubing (like an air tube for a fish tank) and sliced it lengthwise, put a line of clear silicone in it and attached it to the rough edge of the glass and let it all dry before assembling the 50/50 tank

08/03/12  12:31pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area