Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gonecrazynback   Crotus   Gonecrazynback   Crotus   Gonecrazynback   Crotus   Gonecrazynback   Crotus   Gonecrazynback  

Member  Message

Gonecrazynback
View Profile

What kind of frogs are we?

I caught these two last summer, in my tire shop. Two separate dates, so they may not be the same, but they look the same to me. I never had frogs before because I never thought they would be fun to watch. I was wrong. They do some funny things. They live in a 10 gallon tank together with a small pool but they don’t stay in it long. Obviously they are hardy because I have kept them for almost a year now with no frog experience. But I would like to know more about them. I wouldn’t have the faintest clue what sex they are. But they don’t fight and I don’t think they are trying to breed. Lol. I live on Long Island, NY if that helps any.

04/25/12  08:05pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Gonecrazynback   In reference to Message Id: 2264243

They are obviously toads -- probably American toads, a common and hardy species. Toads are amiable creatures that live well in groups, as you can see... if you’ve already kept them that long you must be doing something right, so keep up the good work!

I’m wondering, what are you feeding them? They like almost any type of live insects, worms, etc.

04/26/12  04:06pm

Gonecrazynback
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2264343

Mostly crickets but they do get the occasional worm. They seem happy. They squeak alot. They don’t croak or ribbit like in the movies. Lol.

04/27/12  07:07pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Gonecrazynback   In reference to Message Id: 2264500

Excellent! Only male toads make sounds, and with toads it lends to be a low-pitched trilling.

05/01/12  06:22pm

Gonecrazynback
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2264956

I’ve tried to read up on how to sex them but they don’t stay still long enough to tell.

05/06/12  07:03pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Gonecrazynback   In reference to Message Id: 2265488

The males often tend to have darker throats [somewhat like a "five-o’clock shadow" but not actual hair, of course :-) ] and when they are calling, they inflate their throat pouch like a small balloon. Also, the females, which have paler throats, usually tend to grow a little larger, because when they are in amplexus (mating embrace) the male clasps the female’s back and rides around on top of her for awhile, until she lays her egg masses, at which time he fertilizes them; external fertilization is required because male amphibians have no copulatory organs, although interestingly, in many salamanders, the female picks up the male’s sperm packet into her cloacal lips, thus effecting internal ferilization without copulation(!).

Other than that, sexing them is rather difficult. But unless you want to breed them, which would seem quite unnecessary in the case of such a common species, it really doesn’t matter because, as you’ve seen, our native toads are very laid-back, communal creatures, not territorial by nature like some other herps.

05/07/12  04:49pm

Gonecrazynback
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2265561

Yeah. They get along great. Just curious because I keep chameleons and the females need a place to lay eggs or they become eggbound. I just want to make sure they are doing good. I think they would have bred by now if they were gonna.

05/13/12  05:32pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Gonecrazynback   In reference to Message Id: 2266284

If you are really interested in breeding toads, I think you may need a setup that has a sizable shallow water area, because the females normally lay their egg masses in vernal ponds or other pools of water. But as you can see, they make great pets and will do just fine with the setup you have, for that purpose.

05/15/12  06:21pm

Gonecrazynback
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2266520

No interest in breeding. No need to. They just got two more roommates! LOL. Can four of them get along in a 10 gallon tank? They all seem fine together.

06/10/12  07:58pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area