Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Member  Message

KrazyKelli
View Profile

The single Spring Peeper

Winter has been abnormally warm this year in Michigan, which is all part of a crazy 30 year cycle. Instead of 6 ft of snow, it’s 84F and raining. I expected to hear thunder and lightning going crazy across the skies, but instead I’m hearing a constant high pitched chirp in the woods.

A single Spring Peeper is out there somewhere, likely near a certain mini pond I know of, belting out calls. Peep Peep Peep. All alone. Peep Peep.

At first I got into an arguement. I knew it was a frog. Others were telling me crickets. Really? At this time of year? So I looked it up. As I played random amphibian calls on my computer, I came across the correct one. The Spring Pepper, harbinger of pleasant weather and flowering trees. As I played the call, the one outside started going crazy. PeepPeepPeep! Insane and rapid with its chirps.

I hope it has friends who wake up in the coming days.

Or that it lays some eggs and brings forth a new generation of tadpoles out there.

Let’s hope for the best.

What is the first frog you hear in the spring? Listen and check online. Look up your state + amphibians to get a list of those in your area. Hear the calls. Compare. Have fun and learn. =D

03/23/12  08:09pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area