Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SilverRaiyne   Chameleon_man   SilverRaiyne   Chameleon_man   Crotus   Chameleon_man   SilverRaiyne   Chameleon_man   SilverRaiyne   Chameleon_man   Crotus   SilverRaiyne   Crotus   FinnyBird  

Member  Message

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Newbie--few questions

Hi, i normally post over on the burmese python forum but also have a collection of poison dart frogs and a few white’s tree frogs. the other day a woman overheard me saying i have frogs and she offered me hers for free, she said that they were African tree frogs but when i got them i found they are actually fire belly toads. i’ve never owned them before so i looked into their care and i learned they have a toxin that is poisonous to other frogs. they’re in their own enclosure (as are all my different frog species) but one thing i read that worries me is someone said that keeping them even in the same room can be toxic to the other frogs, i’ve put lots of money into all my darts and am not willing to risk losing them over a stupid newbie mistake, not to mention i have a free roaming iguana and i don’t want to risk him getting sick/dying either. so is this true? will them even being in the same room be harmful to the rest of my pets?

02/05/12  03:38pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2254017

Newbie--few questions

I work at a pet store (pet-co) and there are a lot pet stores that keep them right next to other animals. i would think they would be fine.i konw your not supossed to touch them but I dont know about harming other animals threw the air that just sounds a little fishy to me. I do know they have a small amount of toxin but I personally think they will be fine but i am not saying it with 100% certany it will work.

02/06/12  10:48am

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2254162

Newbie--few questions

lol, i didn’t even think of that, you’re right, i see them at pet stores all the time and they’re always right there with the rest of the amphibians and reptiles. duh, makes me feel kinda dumb now =) lol, i got way too much to learn about these new guys. i seriously thought the chick was trying to give me a dead frog cuz one of them was flipped over on it’s back, she laughed at me and sprayed some water on it and it flipped right back over, i have never seen a frog lay like that before. do any FBT owners have any tips or suggestion you can give me to ensure i’m caring for these guys the best i can?

02/06/12  11:12am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2254166

Newbie--few questions

I belive they are just like whites tree forgs. just lots of humidity, water and crikets :-)

02/06/12  11:16am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2254166

Newbie--few questions

In my experience, they do best in a semiaquatic setup, half land and half water. I kept some for many years in a setup like that. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of it, but here is a similar one I set up for some newts:

02/06/12  03:07pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2254216

Newbie--few questions

that look great :-)

02/06/12  03:08pm

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2254216

Newbie--few questions

I agree Crotus, that setup looks awesome!! It’s way better than the setup that the chick gave me. All my frog terrariums (except this one) are setup with false bottoms and live plants, i just love the natural feel you get from it. I’ve never done one that is half aquatic, how do you make it? i see there’s an obvious barrier, how do you form it? I’m definitely interested in setting it up similar to that. thanks so much for the feedback.

02/06/12  03:55pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2254223

Newbie--few questions

another thing a lot of peple do is just get big water dishes (like big snake ones) and put that in the tank and put fake plants all around it that also looks good.

02/06/12  03:56pm

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Newbie--few questions

oh, also, how do you keep the water clean in a setup like that? these toads are always in their water dish and it gets really nasty, i’m finding i have to clean it out everyday.

02/06/12  03:57pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2254227

Newbie--few questions

They do make tiny filter for turtles you can try

02/06/12  04:40pm

Crotus
View Profile

Newbie--few questions

SilverRaiyne: I’m very partial to type of setup because when the frogs (or newts) are swimming in the water area, you have a great view of their brightly colored bellies... To make it, just start with a 10 gal (or 15 gallon if possible) aquarium, and measure the width (about 10 inches or 12 inches respectively, I believe, but try to get it as precise as you can. Then at a glass shop, get a cut piece of glass that is that same width (10 or 12 inches) by about 4 or 5 inches in height, and have them sand the edges smooth.
Set this into the tank (you may want to put it at an angle like I did, to form a ramp), and carefully glue in the whole piece with clear silicone aquarium sealant, making sure to seal it completely. If you set it an angle, you also have the option to smear some silicone on the upper surface and glue some silica sand or small pebbles onto this for improved traction when the animals enter and exit the water...
When this preparation is finished, you should allow at least 24 hours for it to cure. Then simply put some gravel into the water area and fill it with spring water and maybe drop in a few aquatic plants; the land area can be set up like a typical woodland terrarium with a gravel bottom for drainage topped with a peat-based soil potting soil substrate (free of fertilizer granules, because those could harm the animals if accidentally ingested by them), and a few small plants like ferns, philodendron, etc. and some flat shale rocks and/or moss clumps for hide spots. I like to prop up the flat rocks securely with smaller rocks to create small caves which the animals like to hide in when they are on land.

If the setup is large enough (at least 15 gallons) it might be very interesting to try to incorporate a waterfall feature with a pump into this setup, but I have not yet tried that.

02/06/12  05:58pm

SilverRaiyne
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2254250

Newbie--few questions

cool, thanks so much for the info, i’m already looking forward to getting started on it =) at the moment they’re in a 5 gallon terrarium, the bottom is all swampy with coco-fiber (or possibly eco-earth?), they have a small water dish they hang out in, a piece of wood leaned against one side to make a hide and a bunch of fake plants. definitely not ideal conditions in my opinion, but like i said i just got them the other day and that’s how they came. i have a bigger tank that’s not being used by anything, i think it’s at least a 25 gallon, not really sure, but i’m probably gonna use that and set it up like you suggested. I’ve never done aquatic terrariums before, my other frogs are all dart frogs and they’re strictly terrestrial, water’s no good for them. I have a few white’s as well but just only have a shallow water dish for them. Thanks so much for the suggestion, i honestly wasn’t sure if i wanted to keep these toads, i’m so used to my darts and their beautiful colors that i was disappointed when i saw these guys (especially considering i had been lead to believe i’d be getting Australian red-eyed tree frogs, NOT fire belly toads) but now that I’ve got a project in store i’m definitely amped about it and looking forward to what i can do =)

02/06/12  07:11pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: SilverRaiyne   In reference to Message Id: 2254269

Newbie--few questions

Cool, go for it! Although they are common and inexpensive, I really think you will not regret keeping FBTs. They have large appetites and boisterous, comical personalities... for example, sometimes when one is hungry, if you dangle a cricket or other food item on the end of a broom straw, they are known to make flying leaps straight into the air to nab it. That reminds me, however, that they are surprisingly good escape artists, not only being good jumpers but also, even though they have no toepads like treefrogs, they have a surprising ability to flatten their wet bodies against a glass surface and scale it in an attempt to escape (this does not mean they’re unhappy, they just seem to have a lot of curiosity), so please be sure to keep a tight fitting screen top on their tank at all times.

Incidentally they are very social creatures that seem to really enjoy living in groups, so in a big tank, you might be able to add a couple more of them.

02/07/12  02:44pm

FinnyBird
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2254394

Newbie--few questions

FBTs do have mild toxins which can harm fish and other herpentiles; however, if you have an adequate filtration system (or change the water every one or two days) you might get away with it, though I wouldn’t recommend trying it if you aren’t prepared to take that risk. Keeping them in the same room is absolutely fine. The toxin is secreted through those "bumps" on the sides on their heads and is not airborne.

That flipping-over behavior your saw was a threat-response behavior.

As for tank setup, you want both land and water. Because the toads do not swim, but instead prefer to float, you don’t need it too deep. You’ll want lots of things in the water for them to grip onto, such as logs or rocks. Make sure you have a dry area as well, plus a hiding space with something to burrow in. Sphagnum moss is excellent for them. If you set up a filter (which I highly suggest), make sure there is something in front of the output in order to break the force of the water, as the frogs prefer a calmer-type pool. Make sure to de-chlorinate any water; you can do this either by letting a bucket of tap water sit for twenty-four hours, buy spring water, or buy a de-chlorinizing solution (a small bottle that cleans 1 gallon for 1 drop costs about four dollars).

For feeding, you should get the small-sized crickets and gut-feed them before giving them to the toads. Firebelly toads are hunters, in a way; they do not have long tongues. Instead, they will jump at their food and try to grab them with their mouth.

I currently own seven firebelly toads in a 55-gal tank setup, complete with waterfall, moss, plants, logs and the whole bit. They’re very fun creatures. I have a simple filter I put together that has successfully managed the toxins, and I have succeeded in keeping rosy minnows (a small, hardy, very cheap type of fish) in their water. They’re funny and rewarding creatures, both beautiful and entertaining. Good luck.

06/20/12  05:51pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area