Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Frogs Forum

Shees   Shees   Sh0e   Shees   Sh0e   Shees  
 Member  Message

Shees
View Profile

ADF’s and bacterial infections...

So I dunno if anyone else has already posted something on this but I wanted to spread the news. I just bought an African Dwarf Frog for my daughter last week. To start with the lady suggested me buying it for a one gallon tank, which I recently found out isn’t the best for them. They like 10 or more gallons. They can definitely survive in smaller but it’s a small space for them. Anyways, we got the frog home and realized the next day that his right front "arm" (not leg) seemed to be hurt. I checked it the next day and it was barely more than a stump with limp "fingers". It’s not red, it’s white and the info I’ve found on red leg shows swelling. My guess is a bacterial infection. I found info on bacterial infections and learned not to use copper based products for the infection. I read the Maracyn II or tetracycline were the best thing for him. I also plan to move him to a bigger tank and away from the beta we have him with. Any comments or suggestions? Has anyone ever seen this happen? I feel really bad because it’s getting worse daily and it has to be painful. Oh, and I already know about Metafix and from what I’ve heard it’s more for regrowing what bacteria has eaten than getting rid of the whole problem...HELP!

09/21/09  09:47pm

Shees
View Profile

Message To: Shees   In reference to Message Id: 2074759

Ok, just so this is updated when I get an answer from someone. THE BETA IS DEAD. Not a huge deal...I was more worried about the frog. The beta hadn’t been acting weird until about two hours ago he was hanging out at the top of the tank I checked on him an hour later and he died. I’m guessing with the beta dying first that must be how the frog got sick. Anyways, I took a picture, actually like 20 and managed to get ONE decent one so at least someone could get an idea of what I’m talking about...Someone please help so we don’t lose our new froggy :( Just post back and I can email the picture because I can’t figure out how to get them on here. Thanx.

09/21/09  11:35pm

Sh0e
View Profile

Message To: Shees   In reference to Message Id: 2074826

You can give him medicated baths. It is difficult though, ADF’s are fragile and there’s not a lot of work done with them despite the fact they’re available everywhere. You could try a fish medication. Neomycin is available at most pet stores in the fish department. I’ve used it, methyl blue, and melafix for anything from pacman frogs to dart frogs. Baytril is my choice medication for bacterial infection though. However, you can only get it from a vet, around $40. I would dilute any fish medication to half the strength it suggests for fish.

To post pictures you’ll have to join a picture hosting website like phototrail.com or photobucket.com. Then copy the URL and paste it between these: [Image][/Image], and you’re good to go.

Best wishes. I’ve never kept ADF’s outside of selling them at a store I worked at in college.

09/22/09  07:42am

Shees
View Profile

Message To: Sh0e   In reference to Message Id: 2074884

I appreciate the input. I actually treated him with the Maracyn II I mentioned. Pretty quickly he started shedding the dead skin off and he’s just been digging. He seems to be a little more alert today but the whole little hand is gone :( Last night there was a red spot starting to show next to his arm on his side and was worried it was septicemia (sp.?). I was pretty glad when I looked at him this morning and the redness had faded a little bit. I’m still worried about him but hopeful. I definitely realize I was totally misinformed about these little guys but I feel like I now know enough now to take care of him, let’s just hope he makes it.

09/23/09  01:04am

Sh0e
View Profile

Message To: Shees   In reference to Message Id: 2075216

I’ve heard of people using MII with some success. Best wishes to you. Due to their size and aquatic nature these frogs are really difficult to medicate or even diagnose. They are not fish though, and mistakenly advertised as community animals. I would continue medication for 5-7 days and cross your fingers.

09/23/09  07:52pm

Shees
View Profile

Message To: Sh0e   In reference to Message Id: 2075625

he seems to be more active and eating

09/24/09  11:41pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area