Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frilled Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

C a s   DJFrillies   C a s   DJFrillies   C a s   DJFrillies   C a s   DJFrillies   C a s   DJFrillies  

Member  Message

C a s
View Profile

What is the inner frill supposed to look like?

So I am unsure...
I am a bit worried about my lizard, mostly because I’m just a worried person in general.
She seems to be shedding all the time and has shed on her frill most of the time but when she opens her fril on the outside it’s dark and grey but on the inside it’s sort of white?
Is this normal? It almost looks like about to shed skin? I don’t get to have a look inside of her frill much because she’s usually facing me when she frills and lately she’s been really grumpy and doesn’t like to be touched.

03/10/16  01:52pm

DJFrillies
View Profile

Message To: C a s   In reference to Message Id: 2317393

Take a look at the NG video in the videos link, at 20 seconds in they show what a normal healthy adult frill looks like from the back side. Old shed that did not come off cleanly can be worked on with a bath and some gentle rubbing. Continual shed is not good, and may be a sign of CANV, or poor humidity control. Is there any yellowing on the scales that come off? Can you post some pictures or a video of the back of the frill?

03/11/16  10:20am

C a s
View Profile

Message To: DJFrillies   In reference to Message Id: 2317403

I’m not sure what video link you mean D:

I don’t see any yellow or anything, it’s mostly just white.

She had a fungal infection one time and it’s nothing like that. I got rid of it and it never seemed to resurface. It was on the edge of her frill as a baby, and I put the cream on it they gave me and it put holes and pieces missing from her frill but it was completely gone.

I tried to take a pic of her frill the other day but she got scared and backed off her perch so I left her alone.

03/11/16  11:49am

DJFrillies
View Profile

Message To: C a s   In reference to Message Id: 2317406

Link

03/12/16  09:12am

C a s
View Profile

Message To: DJFrillies   In reference to Message Id: 2317414

I’m not sure if this is helpful or not, because Khaleesi is white/bright grey and black.
She has bits of yellow and orange but mostly she’s white.

03/12/16  09:30am

DJFrillies
View Profile

Message To: C a s   In reference to Message Id: 2317415

She looks pretty good in the picture, I can see a spot you are talking about on her frill where there is a bit of shed. From the photo, old scales looks to be white and not yellowish, that’s good. It looks like old shed that is not coming off well. How are the humidity levels in the container? How often are you bathing her? That’s a good spot and time to do some gentle rubbing on the old scales, to help them loosen up and fall off on their own. Most adults eventually get some old scale buildup, its not uncommon, and not a cause for real concern. If you are seeing yellowed scales, that’s a sign of CANV. RAL is a vet lab that can test a mailed in scale for under $20.

03/13/16  10:10am

C a s
View Profile

Message To: DJFrillies   In reference to Message Id: 2317423

She HATES baths so I don’t get to bathe her often.
Her humidity has been steady %40 I think but I have bumped up the mister. I had to turn it down because it was saturating her dirt and mushrooms were growing in the cage. I use organic potting soil because I planned to put plants in there at some point. It’s a lot cheaper for me to buy giant bags of that than regular bedding as terrible as that sounds but her cage is SO BIG.

Is this what CANV looks like?

this is her as a baby, like I said before, and I took care of it and haven’t seen anything like it since.

The scales on her inner frill look more uniform, less like that. She does have yellow on her frill but I think she just has yellow on her frill as her marking because it’s also very uniform.

03/13/16  11:21am

DJFrillies
View Profile

Message To: C a s   In reference to Message Id: 2317424

Hates em or not, baths are needed. These dragons are well controllable if you use good handling techniques. Control the tail first, an adult can whip to cut skin. Use slow motions to try not to frighten them. Try to be on a similar level to not seem like you are looming over them. You should consider regularly handling your dragon to get it accustomed to it. Start slow, and build up.

Humidity at 40 is on the low end. These dragon will develop issues from poor humidity. 40-50% at the low end, and a misting, either automated or manual to raise the humidity. NG Frillies come from a wetter climate than the Australians, think about conditions in a tropical rainforest. Humidity is even more important for young Frillies. Go for misting 2x a day for young and once a day for adults. Get a good sensor that actually reads humidity. You should see changes, just by introducing a bowl of lukewarm water, instead of cold..

You mention mushrooms, not good. Consider your substrate and its hygienic value, specifically, this relates to what it is made from and how often you completely change it. Maybe consider a substrate change to something that can be fully cleaned. I am using artificial grass squares. I can pull them out to clean them. I purchased a steam cleaner that was like $50, I can steam them in place even to sterilize them. Look at this link on how to properly clean your container. Link

That does not look like CANV to me, just the normal coloration on the lower frill. For more info and pictures of CANV, check these links. Link Link

And if you want to be sure, send a scale in.. relatively cheap reassurance.. Link

03/13/16  01:56pm

C a s
View Profile

Message To: DJFrillies   In reference to Message Id: 2317426

She doesn’t seem to be losing scales though, just sheets of skin like a normal shed.
I don’t know if she is constantly shedding but the scale build up thing makes more sense.
I took some recent pictures, tried to get the back side of her frill but didn’t do that well. Here’s what I got, sorry if it’s too many images.

Here’s just the outside of her frill sort of

Not great pics but what I got of the inside:

and here’s one of her sheds

03/14/16  02:28pm

DJFrillies
View Profile

Message To: C a s   In reference to Message Id: 2317435

Looks like normal shed and maybe some buildup of old scales is all. White is the correct color for a dead scale in general as opposed to yellow.

03/15/16  09:50am

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area