Frilled Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

StankBurly   Takahiro111   StankBurly   Takahiro111   DJFrillies   DJFrillies  

Member  Message

StankBurly
View Profile

[PIC HEAVY] New Frillie. First time owner. looking for general advice

Hi all. I recently purchased a new NG frillie i have named boris. he/she is about 7-9in long atm and seems in good health. (i.e eating well, plump body and tail, clear eyes and nose, very alert and active) Mostly I am just looking for people to talk to who have experience with these wonderfully amazing creatures because as the title states I am a first time owner. Ive done a lot of reading up on them and ive done my absolute best to accomidate all of the crucial needs that i have heard of so far. Ive custom built my own enclosure with measurements of 4wide-6high-2deep. It is a wood enclosure with 4sliding doors (2inside of wire mesh which he loves climbing on and 2outside of plastic vinyl to keep in humidity and allow viewing of my little friend) with 4 3in vents to let fresh air circulate while retaining most of the humidity. i have 2 infrared heatlamps (one smaller one larger) for warmth of which i only need the larger most of the time and only switch to the smaller if my temps begin to raise higher than my liking since i live in florida and dont want to dehydrate boris. And 3 18in slimline desert fixtures for uvb and visible light since the enclosure is quite large. My humididty averages about 65% give or take a few percent. My basking temp is anywhere between 100-105 with an ambient temp of 80 on the cool end of the enclosure. Im in the process of filling this enclosure with lots of climbing decor and plenty of hiding places atm so theres not quite as much as id like yet but im still working on it. i used cyprus mulch bedding on the bottom to help with humididty and also provide a cushion for the little guy in case he takes any tumbles while hes still young and a large water pan of about 18x12 for drinking and soaking if he wants. It usually only has about 1/4-1/2in of water so i dont have to worry about him drowning and I mist boris himself a couple times a day just for a hydration boost to him directly which he loves lol Right now im feeding him mostly small crickets and the occasional superworm which he seems to have no trouble devouring. I dust the crickets with reptical calcium+d3 3 times a week and herptivite twice a week. i also gutload his crickets with flukers high calcium cricket food and THAT is why i only dust with calcium+d3 3days a week. Any advice on possibly better gutload regimens would be appreciated. I intend to offer more variety of insects in the future besides crickets and supers. Looking towards discoid roaches (because dubias are illegal in FL) and phoenix worms to add and gonna try some vegetables down the line also like squash ,carrots, and collards. Right now boris is shedding and any advice you might have on the shedding process and how i might help him out possibly would be greatly appreciated but keep in mind hes still young and pretty skittish so its hard for me to do things like soak him without stressing him right now. Im in the process of getting him used to me and i can touch him a little bit and ive held him once without any frilling at me and i just dont want to ruin the bond we’re building by forcesoaking him. So any advice is appreciated there as well!

01/26/16  06:52pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: StankBurly   In reference to Message Id: 2316727

Congrats on the frillie...he’s so spoiled :) that’s a nice sized cage. I gutload my insects with fruits,veggies,bread,cereal etc.... But your giving too much calcium I give 1-2x a week for all my lizards.

01/27/16  02:26am

StankBurly
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316733

thanks for the advice :) Ive been dusting 3 times a week because he still seems very young and from what I’ve read a lot of people say to dust for young ones either every other feeding or 5 days a week and then back off after they reach about a year old but i didnt want to do it THAT often since i didnt want to over load him with calcium seeing as he eats a TON. lol So i kind of just went for a middleground and figured the calcium rich gutload cricket food would compensate between dusting days with a little less of a dose lol But if he seems old enough to be backed down on the calcium to the people in this forum I’ll probably drop it back to only a couple times a week. Also what are your thoughts on my multivit supplement schedule for him right now? Too much, too little, or fine for now? Supplementing seems to be a pretty varied topic for most people so you get a lot of different answers.

01/27/16  08:13am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: StankBurly   In reference to Message Id: 2316735

Your welcome and I give vitamins 1-2x weekly only because my lizards gets a varied diet. They can get vitamins from having a varied diet better than a staple one. Giving too much calcium is proven fatal and I’m sure vitamins too, your right on the baby part I give 2x weekly with adults 1x weekly.

01/27/16  12:15pm

DJFrillies
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316744

Welcome to the servants (owners) club :)

I posted a link to a video about how to get a baby to eat and drink by James on a previous but recent post here on the forum.

I am using the Repashy Calcium plus, and per the directions only apply a LIGHT coating to each feeder bug. I use it every time.

It sounds like you are off to a great start with your self education, as you have built a nice container for your Frillie. I would caution you on the screen, as reptiles that become bored have been known to rub on it and lose scales in places, normally the nose and face area.

I bathe my Frillies to help with shedding, using moving water (circulate by hand in a sink or use a small pump) and gentle rubbing on loose scales. You do not want to pull any skin off, it should come off on its own.

For your (as well as any other interested parties) further education I would like to offer a few internet links that I have found useful information on.

Jessica has a nice site with good information now only on google cache. Link

Every reptile owner needs to know about CANV. Link and Link

And how to prevent CANV. Link

Look forward to an update :)

05/27/16  03:07pm

DJFrillies
View Profile

Message To: DJFrillies   In reference to Message Id: 2318498

Can I get an edit? :(

One more link, another site now dead on google only. Link

05/27/16  03:24pm