Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frilled Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dannymonte76   Takahiro111   Poondayshot   Poondayshot   Dannymonte76   Saphiras mom   DJFrillies   DJFrillies   Rusty7486  

Member  Message

Dannymonte76
View Profile

Rescued 2 frillies.

just rescued two frilled lizards. they are rather skinny and dehydrated i think. started soaking/showering twice a day . dont believe previos owner misted them. just a bowl of water. they lapped some water up while soaking. currently in a 55 gallon tank with a uvb tube light, a mvd bulb and a 250 watt heat bulb on one side and a 125 on other side. temps better now. noticed some regurg. worms . first time with frillies. any advice is very welcomed.

01/04/16  05:40pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Dannymonte76   In reference to Message Id: 2316390

Rescued 2 frillies.

I love when people rescue reptiles from horrible owners. Take fresh stool samples to a vet but vary their diet and introduce them to their own water bowl because drinking warm bath water isn’t gonna get them hydrated. Calcium dust with D3 (low phosphorus) insects 1-2x weekly.

01/05/16  12:35am

Poondayshot
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316401

Rescued 2 frillies.

Takahiro111: you commented on my thread as well but any information you provide is generic ... you may wish to provide facts next time instead of generalizations.

Original Poster: few observations from a very very experienced reptile keeper:

1) You did not mention the age of the dragons
2) You mention MVD bulb - did you mean MVB?
3) Your dragons - same gender? Male female? Same cage?
4) regurg worms - what kind were they?

The important thing here is that they need to be treated like any neglected reptile - at the core is heating (which you seem to have down), water and food. Any living being can survive without food for quite a bit surprisingly, but cannot survive without water. Letting the dragons soak individually for at least 15-20 minutes will not only hydrate them a bit, it will give them a chance to drink water too. What takiro said about bath water vs bowl water is incorrect as malnourished and borderline sick reptiles need water, period. If they defecate in the water, take them out right away and change the water to clean water and continue the bath. They should also be directly misted 2-3 times a day. The ambient humidity is one thing, but misting them keeps them hydrated and they will also lick at water droplets.

Worms - what types of worms were you feeding him? When I had bearded dragons and bred them, the adults would sometimes throw up superworm shells - I was never sure if it was because they ate too many or because it wasn’t hot enough for them to digest them properly, but I never ever ever feed mealworms due to the known issue of chittin not digesting properly. I would suggest providing them with horn worms or wax worms to fatten them up and give them moisture a bit. Both of these should be dusted in calcium before feeding. Because they have been neglected, I would supplement with calcium every feeding, not 1-2 times a week. I’ve had reptiles of all sorts and ages and I’ve never supplemented only 1-2 times a week. Every other day, maybe for healthy adults of any reptile specifies I’ve owned but as neglected animals, I’d say everyday or as directed by the herp vet.

Why do you have an MVB and a tube UVB? I think there is such a thing as too much UVB and that is my concern with your setup....an MVB is enough, or a heat light with a UVB tube bulb, but you don’t need both. I’ve read about many cases where the UVB was too great especially if its a 10.0 or similar grade in each.

What Takiro said about stool/fecal sample is important - take it to the vet to see if he has worms or excess bacteria/parasites internally. If they were neglected, they can either die really fast or recover really fast, its up to you which way they go. You might be able to get away with not going to the vet (hey, to all you haters, you dont HAVE to - you choose to)....and you can try your best to help them recover, but if you try everything and they keep losing weight or seem lethargic, then you must take them to the vet if you make no progress.

01/05/16  08:23am

Poondayshot
View Profile

Message To: Poondayshot   In reference to Message Id: 2316406

Rescued 2 frillies.

1 more important thing: seperate the 2 frilled dragons if you cant. Whether adults or juvies, reptiles living with other reptiles is a stressful situation and the severity level of the stress determines health. Male - female works, but is stressful for the less dominant. Male Male never works and stresses both. In either case, seperate the 2 animals so each can recover on their own.

01/05/16  08:25am

Dannymonte76
View Profile

Message To: Poondayshot   In reference to Message Id: 2316407

Rescued 2 frillies.

they are suppose to be a male and female. as for age i dont know. they are together for the monent. only had one tank big enuff. was using the uvb tube on one side and mvb on otjer half of the 55 gallon they are in. they were mealworms and some cricket parts that were regur. unfornt the closet knowlegable vet for rept. is 3 hrs away. so it is not a easy trip with work but i am making a appt for soon.i have the bath room temp with shower on and bathroom nice and toasty. the bask spot is 100/ 105 with ambient in mid low to mid 90s. got some dubia roaches on the way so that will help i hope.would a smaller cage for each be more beneficial till healthy than a large one? the "male" is 22 inch "female" is 18. with tails.

01/06/16  09:30am

Saphiras mom
View Profile

Message To: Dannymonte76   In reference to Message Id: 2316436

Rescued 2 frillies.

Just a few thoughts to add to the previous suggestions from Poondayshot which are all great! Abused lizards are usually relatively calcium depleted. The powdered calcium is something, but liquid calcium (calcium gluconate) is better absorbed and can help replenish calcium faster. I have given it by syringe either just inside the gums, or if they happen to open up at that point, on their tongue.

Water baths are great for rehydration. You can do them up to two to three times a day (make sure the water is between 90 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit). they can drink, but also absorb water through their cloaca. With regards to humidity, I use misters/vaporizers attached to a hygrometer in my tanks for my frillies and Chinese water dragons. You can get a decent set up for that under $100 and it saves me a lot of worry. I set mine for the frillies to about 55%. Honestly though, its more about hydration that focusing on humidy and baths are a great way to hydrate.

With respect to the regurgitation, unfortunately regurgitation was the first sign that my previous Frilly was sick; although, the vet never figured out what was ultimately wrong and she passed under a month later). I hope that is not the issue with yours, but you should consider taking them to a vet if there is one locally that specializes in reptiles. That will also assess their general health and figure out the best plan for care and rehab.

As for food, the most nutritious foods I have found are reptiworms (they go by various trade names, but are the larvae of soldier flies) and silkworms are very nutritious and most of my dragons love them. Dubia roaches are also very healthy. Crickets are not, but unfortunately mine at times wont eat anything but crickets. Greens and vegis are also very healthy if they will eat them. Collard greens, dandelion greens, and various squash (especially spaghetti and butternut) are especially healthy.

I wish you luck. Frillies are one of my favorites as they are cool looking, active, interactive, and playful!

02/02/16  11:35am

DJFrillies
View Profile

Message To: Saphiras mom   In reference to Message Id: 2316890

Rescued 2 frillies.

Check out these links, the sites are a bit out of date in some cases, but the information is still good.

http://frilleddragon.webs.com/
http://www.everythingreptile.org/frilled-dragon.html
https://sites.google.com/site/rubixreptiles/

02/04/16  09:42am

DJFrillies
View Profile

Message To: DJFrillies   In reference to Message Id: 2316916

Rescued 2 frillies.

1 more, the main site is down now, but there is a google cache for Alamo city agama

https://sites.google.com/site/alamocityagama/

02/04/16  09:46am

Rusty7486
View Profile

Message To: DJFrillies   In reference to Message Id: 2316917

Rescued 2 frillies.

I know this is an old post but maybe someone will see this and it’ll help. Many people always say to bathe dehydrated reptiles. They claim the lizard will absorb water through the cloaca. This is false. In fact, bathing stimulates them to defecate, and it may be too early for them to do so. It takes time for them to absorb all the water from their food. By bathing them a lot and making them defecate prematurely, you are actually compounding the problem.

The only way to fix dehydration is for them to drink or receive subcutaneous fluids like an IV. That’s it. The amount of water that may make it inside the cloaca is negligible at best.

The best way is to slowly syringe feed them water. Many lizards will catch on and start licking, which ia great. Sometimes they are more stubborn. Bathing them is fine if they know how to drink from standing water, but this can also cause them to aspirate, so it can be risky. Never turn the water hotter than around 80f for a dehydrated reptile. You don’t want to induce defecation.

If you are skeptical about this post I can back it up with actual scientific testing if needed. I

11/08/16  06:18pm

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area