Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frilled Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GearedUp   Cphill58   Cphill58   GearedUp   Cphill58   Cphill58   GearedUp   Cphill58   GearedUp  

Member  Message

GearedUp
View Profile

Possible fungus or frill rot??? someone please help

My 5yr old Frill has a very dark spot on the edge of her upper frill. She has had it for over 3yrs. Exotic vet told me nothing to worry about, but she didn’t scrap for a sample or anything she just looked at it. It has gotten worse, and now part of her upper frill (part that sits on her neck) looks like something has eaten it away. I have had her since she was a 3month old baby. I use ground coconut husk substrate, she is the only reptile in tank. It just doesn’t seem rigbt, how could this be nothing when now, over 3yrs of having it it seems to be eating away at her frill. Someone please help. I don’t have the money to take her to the vet, and I don’t even know that I would put much trust in them anyway. I don’t want anything to happen to her. Any help is much appreciated. Her name is KoKo. I have been trying to post pix, but my phone is not letting me. I have good clear pix of what I am describing. I hope I can get the pix posted.

12/31/14  10:59pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: GearedUp   In reference to Message Id: 2311582

Up load your pictures to a free photo host ...like Photobucket..
Then post a link here

It is a fungal infection usually eating the skin and it will get worse unless you get the proper anti fungal medication.

I wish I knew more but you need to research other frilled dragon forums and possibly get some answers to what type of medication you need and maybe a human substitute. Actually all human medications have been adapted to our pets ... basically in a diluted form. I am in a rural area and have ACCESS TO HORSE /CATTLE / TACK AND FEED STORES. These places have a considerable amount of medicines ...if diluted they can be used for reptiles as well.

Tetracycline from tropical fish stores and other capsules also work...see the medicines for fin rot. Ask the clerk. get some and try diluting the medicine with water and apply or syringe feed to the frill. Make an ointment by using mineral oil or vaseline and apply a small amount each day topically.

Good Luck

01/04/15  11:39am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311650

GO HERE and see what , if anything matches your symptoms

http://www.alamocityagama.com/Medical-care

01/04/15  11:47am

GearedUp
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311652

Thank you So much for the replies. I read on another forum some people talked about vinegar bath soaks for treating frill rot and that it helped. I’m thinking of trying that also. Any thoughts are experience with the vinegar soaks?? It is 2Tbsp vinegar to 1gallon water and soak for 20-30 min. I just don’t want to hurt her with anything, but I have to do something. I will check out different anti fungal creams too. Someone else mentioned putting Monistat 7 on her frill?? Thanks again for any help. Still trying to get pix up on site. I have a Windows phone and alot of the common apps are still not available for Windows phones uhgg!

01/05/15  02:42pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: GearedUp   In reference to Message Id: 2311667

I have a android phone ...is that "Windows"?
I am almost positive Photobucket.com has a mobile app...try going to the website and setting up a FREE account

Never heard of the vinegar wash ... but it will be harmless to try ....However I do like the Monistat 7 idea even more. Never imagined that ...

Try Something asap
Look at the search bar in this site and type in RX7chick...she is not here anymore but she was the resident expert on frills.

Thats where I got the website from her older posts...just scroll down in this forum and read

01/05/15  06:48pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311673

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/photobucket/37ce7860-15da-df11-a844-00237de2db9e

01/05/15  06:56pm

GearedUp
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311674

Ok, thanks So much. I will try the Monistat 7 and apply it to the area on her frill. I think I will try the vinegar soaks too. Thanks for your knowledge and opinion back to me.
The Windows phone is different from the Android phone. Kinda weird that the Windows phone doesn’t have all the apps that are available to Android & I-phones:( Hopefully soon. I have will keep you posted on the progress with trying the vinegar soaks & the Monistat 7. I hope it works. She has something going on with her vision also. That’s a whole other post. I will post about that when I have a little more time. Gotta go to work now. Thanks again.

01/07/15  04:15pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: GearedUp   In reference to Message Id: 2311704

If your dragon is having issues with the eyes and closing them and or they are swollen or shut all the time read this article and check the symptoms.

Reptile UV

01/09/15  01:11am

GearedUp
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311723

Thank you for link. Please read my most recent post dated today... 6/28/15 regarding KoKo’s vision loss. I tried to detail as much as possible without writing a book.
Also, I did dab diluted vinegar water on the areas of KoKo’s frill regarding possible Frill rot, and her frill is much better. The area where it was the worst after several weeks of applying the vinegar & water solution to her frill, the skin that was So hard to get off there during shedding’s actually made a bubble (kinda like a blister) and I was able to peel that old skin off. It dried out, and just a small portion after another several wks actually fell off of her frill. This didn’t aesthetically make her frill look like part was missing though. Pretty unnoticeable to someone who would not have known what had happened. Her frill is better, although I still dab a little of the vinegar water solution onto that part of her frill with a Q-tip occasionally. I have pictures of all of this, but I still can’t get my pictures onto this forum, even with Photobucket. I don’t know why, but anyway. But thanks again for your help. Please do read my most recent post regarding her vision loss. Thanks:)

06/28/15  05:37pm

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area