Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Frilled_schade   87rx7chick   Snipper   Gwebb  

Member  Message

Frilled_schade
View Profile

Ill tempered frilled dragon.

hello everybody,
I have a frilled dragon that gets really nervous and scared whenever I try to hold it. It frills out and hisses and tries really hard to get away. That usually means that it climbs to the very top of its tanks and then falls all the way to the bottom. I feel bad because I don’t want it to hurt itself. Is there any way to kind of calm it down.

The lizard is about 8 to 9 months old and I’m not sure if its male or female. I keep calling it a him but judging by its size I think it might be a girl. It’s a little over a foot long with the tail... maybe a foot and a half at most. I’m not sure about the weight I’ll have to take it to the pet store and get it weighed.

I’ve heard that blending strawberries and other greens and sweet fruits up and using an eye dropper to feed it every time I hold it is supposed to help a lot. Like it associates the good, sweet taste with being held and starts to like it? anybody else every hear of anything like that?

thanks for any help! :)

03/21/12  10:09pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Frilled_schade   In reference to Message Id: 2259635

at this age, about 16 inches long, they get this way.... usually the males get hissy like this. i’d guess yours is a male but its only a guess..

last week my males were fine, but today... oh man i couldnt even hold one because he kept trying to bite me.

this is how they are. this is what a frilled dragon does. not all of them, but some of them. the males more so then females. at this age they do this, they are like teenagers. after about a year most settle down but males usually stay this way.

the best advice i can give you is to try leaving him alone. if he is stressing out, the more you handle him, the less he will want to eat and may get sick.

if he doesnt get to stressed, try handling him every day for short perods of time. most likely though he’ll start fearing your hand when you try to reach in and pick him up, this scares him A LOT, its very scarry to a lil frill...

they are wild animals. wild reptiles. we can not expect to tame every single one. i have a great relationship with my 6 female frilled dragons, but the males, 4 out of 5 of them i can not handle with out them struggling.

03/24/12  10:44pm

Snipper
View Profile

Hi i am new to this site but i have some experience with ill temped dragons.Mine is about 12 inches long at first it was very nervous but with back round in very aggressive monitors it didn’t take long to get it to calm down.First its not some lazy iguana,in the wild everything wants to eat it so it all about flight or fight for frills.Second its still young so it can adapt to see you as part of its environment good or bad just like dogs or people.Third you must earn its trust.A frill Will never be as calm as an iguana when handled or as confident as a monitor there fragile and they know it but you can get them to relax through training.Start slow ,first let go hungry for a day or two with you re fingers then start hand feeding it .It will start to think hand means food not enemy.Then give it free time in a bath tub 30 min luke warm,when its time to climb out it must be you re hand.Never grab it even its about to jump put you re palm in front of its face .Like with most reptiles shedding can be stressful but it can help you build trust scratching its back so to speak but only if its ready,that leads into reading body language.

04/08/12  08:02pm

Gwebb
View Profile

one thing you can try is putting an article of clothing or two into your frilly’s tank. this will help him get used to your scent. also when you do go to handle him start off by holding him inside of his cage if he keeps trying to get away then just treadmill him until he mellows out a bit. you dont want to be putting him back into his cage with him trying to get away or freaking out. you want him to be as mellow as possible when you are putting him back down inside of his cage. i had similar problems with mine and putting an article of clothing (like a sock either freshly washed or very lightly used is fine) definately helped also hadling him for small periods of times INSIDE of his cage helped aswell. also keeping a regular routine with handling and feeding will help. consistancy and persistence are key. another thing could be the size and layout of your tank for him. they should be housed in a large terrarium (4’tall 3’wide 2.5 atleast deep). they NEED lots of space to move around. having a larger terrarium will definately help mellow him out to. mine used to be completely untouchable, now he still hisses and freaks out when i get near him but as soon as i get a hold of him hes pretty good. still needs work though.

03/17/13  09:45am

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area