Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frilled Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Skitch   Pocochu   Skitch   Frilled1   87rx7chick   87rx7chick   87rx7chick   Frilled1   87rx7chick   Skitch   87rx7chick   87rx7chick   Frilled1   87rx7chick   87rx7chick   Frilled1  

Member  Message

Skitch
View Profile

Part of frill fell off please help!!

Today when i went to feed my frilled and a chunk of her frill had fallen off and the surrounding part had gone kinda black please help and tell me if there’s any way to help her.
here is a few pics of her she hasn’t seemed bothered by it but i doesn’t look normal healthy to me .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

03/16/12  01:29pm

Pocochu
View Profile

Message To: Skitch   In reference to Message Id: 2259041

It looks like it might be from an old injury like bite is she alone or with other dragons? or it could be from a bad shed...looks like she’s got pieces of shed on her other frill...What are your humidity levels? or one more thing a burn?...can she get to the lights?....

Annie...>^..^<

03/18/12  02:40am

Skitch
View Profile

Message To: Pocochu   In reference to Message Id: 2259199

she is alone and the humidity was at 50% ,i have a temporary lamp in my room for when i take her out i put her under that and she jumped at it a few weeks ago could a burn cause that?
she doesn’t seem bothered with it and right now she is in middle of a shed ,i was told it could be a fungal infection it looks to be returning to normal colour today so hope its getting better.
ill keep this post updated on how shes doing.

03/18/12  11:45am

Frilled1
View Profile

Message To: Skitch   In reference to Message Id: 2259208

yea to me it appears it could be a fungal infection you dont see it alot generally they will drop the section that the infection is in and be fine..

03/18/12  10:26pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Frilled1   In reference to Message Id: 2259277

fungal infection:

do not treat a fungal infection with out first doing a culture of the area to verify.
if you treat it as a fungal infection, and its not one, it can prolong the healing process.

most of the time this is a bite from another frill showing dominant or breeding behavior. or a burn from being to close to the heat ...

03/19/12  02:43pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2259343

burnt frill:

notice that this is the top most part of their frill. at about 5pm they usually start "gaping" under their heat lamp. when gaping they open their frill and mouth to collect heat. the frill is sensitive, thin and fragile at times. ever been outside on a hot sumer day with out sunscreen on your ears? your ears burn to a crisp, peal, and may scab over...

this is the same with the frill. if they are under the heat lamp this will happen. this comes with the nature of housing a frilled dragon indoors with hot basking lamps.

to prevent this issue. raise the ambient temp of the enclosure to about 85. if they are hanging out under the heat lamp to much it will raise the risk for this to happen.

i have had only one frilled dragon have an infection in their frill. in lower , more inner areas of their frill. i know the difference between infection, fungal, and just a normal burn or bite.

this is a burn/bite since its the up most area of the frill and does not show sign of infection. if any swelling, oozing or discoloration returns, seek out a vet and get a culture of the area prior to using any medicated topical ointment.

03/19/12  02:47pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2259344

i posted pictures of 7 of my frilled dragons each who have some sort of loss of frill. due to either breeding or heat, and one that was fungal

http://www.thefrilleddragon.com/threads/1310-part-of-frill-fell-off-please-help!?p=8028#post8028
Link

03/19/12  07:24pm

Frilled1
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2259407

I think its actually a sort of scale infection were that part of the skin died and drops off i have seen this a few times. He stated it is housed alone ruling out a bite from another frilled and he said it was jumping up at the light I dought it would get that hot to burn one side of the frill and not the other. If you do take it to a vet to have checked out please update us as to what they found.

03/19/12  11:24pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Frilled1   In reference to Message Id: 2259438

jumping at the light would not leave a burn like this. sitting under the hot basking light would.

read the link i posted. it links to another thread from the same person, on another forum. where i explained this and even showed pictures!!

03/20/12  01:04am

Skitch
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2259443

sh does spend a lot of her time under the heat lamp so im trying to think of ways to raise the ambient temp for now as im halfway through build her a new enclosure which i as insulated to hold in the heat and hopefully keep the temp perfect as the temps in Ireland change each day its a hard job making sure the temps stay the same. it seems to be returning to normal color now and shes eating grand ill keep updates =] thanks for all the help its really appreciated =]

03/20/12  04:04am

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Skitch   In reference to Message Id: 2259455

ways to keep heat up but not raise basking zone temp:
use 2 of the 50w halogen lamps instead of one 100 w halogen lamp.

go to my website and check out the 2 lamp flood light fixtures i use. i usually put 2 50w bulbs in them and call it a day.

all my frilled dragons have frill issues because, i only just started realizing this was an issue about 8-12 months ago and changed my set ups because the 100w halogen lamps were to hot. i have yet to include this information in my website but i think i should conciser it soon.

there is a section for husbandry, lighting, and even how to wire up the lamps!
www,alamocityagama.com
Link

03/20/12  12:41pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2259476

sorry there was a typo

http://www.alamocityagama.com/
Link

03/20/12  12:42pm

Frilled1
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2259477

I have only been working with frilleds for 12 years u must know more. cuz since i have been checking out this forum u always think u know everything thats koo its a shame cuz sum of your info is good but not always wat u do works for everyone.

03/20/12  08:40pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Frilled1   In reference to Message Id: 2259521

frilled1, sorry i dont know anything about you, i wish i did, you been working with them for 12 years? thats awesome.

im surprised you didnt mention the issues with the heat lamps. i bet you have better enclosures then most of us.
no im not being sarcastic. i look up to those who can teach me a thing or 2, i love learning new things every day.

i learn new things every day. and i never want to stop learning new things....

dont hate on me for trying to help. scale infection, fungal, it doesnt matter they need to take their frilled dragon to a vet in order to VERIFY any bodys guesses.

from my experience..... only 5 years worth, and i only have 10 frilled dragons... i have seen fungal, and i have seen burns and bites. i have had the vet check out and test portions of the frill also.

im just tossing in my 2 cents...

03/20/12  09:22pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2259526

frilled1, in my response i was agreeing with you about 4 posts up. not sure why you got offensive.

03/20/12  09:25pm

Frilled1
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2259527

It was a long day maybe i read it wrong you can call or text me anytime my cell number is on my site.

03/21/12  06:11pm

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area