Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Frilled Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Yelworc1   87rx7chick   87rx7chick   Yelworc1   87rx7chick   Yelworc1   Yelworc1   Yelworc1   87rx7chick   87rx7chick   Yelworc1   87rx7chick  

Member  Message

Yelworc1
View Profile

My ill frilly- worried

I have had my frilled dragon named frilly (yeah not very original) for about 4 years. Got him probably at about 2-3 months old, not exactly sure on that. He has always been extremely happy and done great until recently I noticed his one front leg swelling a little. Checking out his leg, i could find nothing, until I looked under his foot pad. He has a sublte, somewhat grey wound there with a small dark circle in the middle.
I took him to the vet this last friday, he said he has an infection and began a round of injections. He did the first one, i am to do the next one tommorrow night. Later during the appointment he noticed his other front pad is develping the same issue. This one is not a swollen limb, but had a slight grey patch (not an open wound). He quizzed me on does frilly lay in a dirty tank (never) and he could not figure out why both front legs are getting this. Another vet who was helping at the time kept quizzing me after he left, and she is guessing it could be the ceramic tile he has always been living on his whole adult life. Is this possible? Today i rushed and bought outdoor carpeting (the cage is 6 foot by 4 foot at the base) so its pretty massive. I will have to take new pics--- has anyone had this happen to them? My frilly does have a habit of spending much time on mid level boards and the ceramic tile the past year. I am thinking that 100-110 must be to hot for him now looking back. This faint gray patches on both fronts (with the one progressing fast) are very upsetting, he is acting completely normal for now. I do have a video i made of him this past July where you can see the old ceramic tile i have now covered.
Sorry this is so wordy- i actually have two videos of him from Julyish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysq4Aj8SGIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s54rRfDxOg

he even waves his legs in these- i am still unsure if the ceramic tile is to blame? its now soft carpeting but could it be something else?

10/24/11  12:41am

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Yelworc1   In reference to Message Id: 2241738

My ill frilly- worried

the arm waving and head bobbing is a dominant/matting behavior.

this is my guess.... your frilled dragon is a heavy boy. he walks around and maybe even jumps and lands on his hands all day he could just be brusing his hands each time and it is causing sores.

DONT USE REPTILE CARPET. how can you clean it?!!? it will hold bacteria. use it for now but remove it in about a month. trust me your setting urself up for more infection issues with the reptile carpet. its industrial. it may not even be completely non-toxic there is glue and stuff in the carpet.

frilled dragons are arboreal. this means they spend more of their life in a tree not on the ground of a flat enclosure. your frill isnt suposto be spending most of his time on his hands and legs. he needs to be clinging to the side of a tree, this may also be the issue. to much time spent on his hands and feet. also theres nothing for him to GRIP onto with the tile most of us use peat moss, hard wood mulch like cypress (NEVER CEDAR or PINE) or something similar, how do you keep up your humidity with out substrate?

lastly... you dont feed your frilled dragon mice do you? swollen joints could be from gout. i highly doubt this is your issue. your frill would have other symptoms.

you’ve had your frill this long im sure your frill is usto the way it lives. it may be more damaging to change things around right now then it would be to keep him like this. know what i mean? he’s happy being in a non-arboreal set up. to change this may cause more stress and more harm then good.

what medication is your vet administering to your frilled dragon? if it is baytril please make sure to keep your frilled dragon hydrated and keep an eye on his apatite. baytril can be extremely damaging to a frilled dragon because of the way it works, it dehydrates reptiles really bad. if you have any issue buy BENI-BAC FOR BIRD AND REPTILE

it is tried and true , it DOES work and will help reptiles get an apatite back . anti-biotics destroy normal gut flora in humans and in reptiles. so you must use a pro-biotic to make them feel better.

so to sum up. what i really think is, cuz your enclosure isnt entirely arboreal, and your frill is a big boy now, he may just be getting bruises from walking around on the tile. reptile carpet can be dangerous because of the way it can hold onto bacteria. you may want to check out peat moss which is alot like coconut husk but less expensive. it can be found at lowes this time of year, home depot doesnt carry it.

give him a softer area to land on and his hands should heal. be aware of what your vet is injecting into your frilled dragon and make sure if its baytril to keep him hydrated, monitor his eating. and give him beni-bac for bird and reptile for SURE after using an antibiotic. you’ll be sorry if you dont :(

i wouldnt change ur enclosure. like i said above im sure he’s fine. just make sure he’s well hydrated in such a dry enclosure.

10/24/11  01:32am

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2241741

My ill frilly- worried

edit : its late im tired i thought when you said reptile carpet you ment out door carpet.
it doesnt have toxic glues in it it doesnt have any glue but still, i would NOT use it because it can not be cleaned properly. you can never dis-infect it completely.

10/24/11  01:34am

Yelworc1
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2241742

My ill frilly- worried

Thanks for such a detailed response. He has never had mice. He primarily eats superworms and live crickets. I have never gotten him to eat a green yet. Yes I have tried with so much frustration to change his enviroment. I installed branches, artifiical rocks, with a fountian with such a large tank i had big plans. Over the last couple years i have installed them 3 times only to have frilly hunger strike for weeks. Eating about 3 crickets a week to stay alive. The last time i tried super hard and did this for 3 weeks. He won. Pretty sure he was getting seriusly ill because of the remodeling. I took out the fountain etc. and bam he is eating again. Very very set in his ways. He sometimes won’t eat for 3-5 days if i move a plank around in there which makes me nuts. I value what you are saying, my concern with the outdoor carpeting is exactly that, cleaning it will be next to impossible. I will take your advice and throw it out in a month. I will have to get some recent photos tommorrow after his shot. I too am sleepy and not thinking to clear. Thanks for such detailed advice. Oh his injections are Fortaz- i will be doing the first myself tommorrow- yikes hope i can do it- thanks again
Darrel

10/24/11  01:46am

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Yelworc1   In reference to Message Id: 2241744

My ill frilly- worried

injections are easy. they cant really feel it. just make sure to watch the vet doo it. they’ll should have showed you how. its super easy !

btw my website is www.alamocityagama.com theres an email address on there. theres also informationa bout medication on that site too and it explains a few things on there in detail. that email address goes straight to my phone and i respond quickly.

like i said, dont change to much even after reading what you read on my site your guy has lived in there for 4 years and like you said, he stresses over changes. the only thing that is the issue is his hands are sore from such a hard surface

10/24/11  02:11am

Yelworc1
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2241745

My ill frilly- worried

Thanks for all the info. He had his first shot from me last night, swelling looking a lil (slight) better. I continue those for 2.5 more weeks, than the vet wants me to bring him back to have it drained, regardless if the swelling looks better or not. After the month is over i will try the bedding you mentioned. He said he might keep frilly overnight for the draining, but if not crucial i will be aganist this. he is one of the best in my area though for reptiles so if he insists I will have to let him. (just worry about temps and stress factors). Thanks again

10/26/11  02:08am

Yelworc1
View Profile

Message To: Yelworc1   In reference to Message Id: 2241966

My ill frilly- worried

does Fortaz sound like a good antibiotic for injections?

10/27/11  09:09pm

Yelworc1
View Profile

Message To: Yelworc1   In reference to Message Id: 2242148

My ill frilly- worried

he has had his 3rd injection tonight, so by tommorrow it will be 1 week. The swelling in the leg is not worse, it may be 10-15 percent better, or the same. But in 2 weeks he has it drained. He is still eating and drinking and seems happy, though he likes to sit on his plants more than usual I think to eleviate stress on that leg. Still worried though that after they drain it, will there still be some infection or is fortaz strong enough to knock it completely out?

10/27/11  09:23pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Yelworc1   In reference to Message Id: 2242151

My ill frilly- worried

Fortaz is the same thing as Ceftazidime

it seems like your vet knows what they are doing to prescribe this. it is a good over all antibiotic that does not cause dehydration and other issues. it will how ever disrupt your frills digestion track so please PLEASE get on amazon.com and order beni-bac for bird and reptile in the tube.

Link

you should use this once every 2 days just enough to coat the tongue. like, the length of their tongue. you do have to prob either smear it on their feeder item or actually open their mouth to give this stuff to the frilled dragon. but this stuff WORKS . if your frill is not eating, i recomened this product. if your frill is eating just sneak it in on a food item.

10/28/11  12:07am

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2242158

My ill frilly- worried

dont buy the one in the link above. its for mammals. please check this one out instead
Link

10/28/11  12:09am

Yelworc1
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2242159

My ill frilly- worried

will the shots cause him to stop eating/lose appetite or do they more cause trouble with digestion?

11/16/11  08:36pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Yelworc1   In reference to Message Id: 2244466

My ill frilly- worried

Ceftazidime also known as fortaz is a safe antibiotic, it does not effect apatite at all, if your reptile looses apatite while on this medication it is most likely not from the medication itself but from other stress factors.

if you waited this long to come back to this thread and read my reply then idk if the antibiotic has a chance at working. with reptiles you should really take care of things promptly before it weakens their immune system and body further.

ceftazadime/fortaz is one of the best injectable antibiotic available. i’ve used it many times on reptiles that were sick when i received them. and again when those said sick reptiles relapsed later on , since their immune system is weakend seemingly for the rest of their life.

always follow up antibiotic and parasite treatment with BeneBac for bird and reptile. its just the smart thing to do to replace what the antibiotics kill off in the gut. good bacteria that is needed to digest food properly.

11/17/11  12:11pm

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area