Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Fish Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lizardchic   Allielover   VengeoftheStars   Lizardchic   VengeoftheStars   Lizardchic  

Member  Message

Lizardchic
View Profile

New tank!yay!

What fish can live with betas?

I’m trying to make a new tank,I’m not a novice so hard fish to take care of are fine.i have a 5gallon.

09/17/13  04:11pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Lizardchic   In reference to Message Id: 2301190

New tank!yay!

is there a filter? I know its bad, but I once kept 3 male guppies in a 1gallon tank without a filter and then 6 in the same tank with a filter added. don’t take mixing male and female guppies together lightly, or getting pregnant females. a few parents will eat the fry, but most wont. one spring I ended up with 137babys from 2 females. you can mix other live bearers too, but sometimes they will nip at delicate fins. catfish are good too, and you can also mix other labyrinth fish with them like gouramis. basically you want calm fish, not hyper fish with bettas. low powers filters too.

11/05/13  12:57am

VengeoftheStars
View Profile

Message To: Lizardchic   In reference to Message Id: 2301190

New tank!yay!

I have kept betas with Cory cats and african dwarf frogs. You can also put them in with small fish that have no flowy fins or bright colors like white clouds or zebra danios. I would say no go on guppies.

Remember every beta is different and some will attack ANYTHING. Before you commit to a fish with him put it in a clear glass of water and lower that into his tank, he will think its really in there and you will see his immediate reaction. Even if he doesnt attack it right away though, you may find it dead in the morning.
Every beta is different.

Also you will need a filter for any other fish and that could also present a problem especially in a five gallon tank. The filter will likely be too powerful for your beta and will push him around the tank and eventually kill him from stress. I never put a beta in a community smaller (or larger) than ten gallons. This way i can put a proper filter in there and use decor and plants to slow the current in the tank.

11/05/13  08:06am

Lizardchic
View Profile

Message To: VengeoftheStars   In reference to Message Id: 2302101

New tank!yay!

I have a filter and I agree,guppies aren’t ideal,I have a 20gallon filled with them and keep on giving my dad the extras.

However I have 2glass catfish,could I put them in there?at the moment they are with the guppies.

I will get a lower powered filter I think it is to large for the tank.

11/11/13  07:07pm

VengeoftheStars
View Profile

Message To: Lizardchic   In reference to Message Id: 2302205

New tank!yay!

5 gallons is way too small for ghost cats and 20 is way too big for a beta so they wouldnt be compatable. Betas do not thrive in anything over ten gallons.
A filter for a beta should barely push the water. Buy one that is adjustable so you can control the flow. Any current will stress and kill him.

11/12/13  07:04am

Lizardchic
View Profile

Message To: VengeoftheStars   In reference to Message Id: 2302211

New tank!yay!

Ok thanks

11/12/13  06:49pm

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area