Fish Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Psyblaze16   Psyblaze16   Reptictale92  

Member  Message

Psyblaze16
View Profile

A PH question?

Hello, I work at a pet store and recently we had someone bring back a fish that had died. One of the things that we must do before giving another fish is to test the water. When I tested his PH it was very high at 14 and no Im not kidding it was nearly off our charts. We tried very hard trying to figure out what it was but had some trouble. He had been doing 50% water changes with tap water and I had thought that might be it. The tap water I mean. I asked if there was any limestone in his aquarium and he said no. He had a 75 gallon with some barbs and goldfish (I was going to tell him he shouldn’t mix goldfish with other fish but he was getting upset and I decided not to push the issue). He bought a pleco and it died the next day the poor thing. He didnt understand because his other fish were living there for years. We had no chemicals to give him and when he asked if chemicals would hurt the other fish I told him he would need to change the PH very slowly. And we still needed to find out the source of the problem. Can someone explain to me what would cause a PH reading to be that high? We didnt give him another fish, we cant until the water is fixed.

03/04/13  10:13pm

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2293155

A PH question?

You know what, I went in today and the highest on our scale was 8 not 14. Im sorry everyone.

03/06/13  11:37pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2293301

A PH question?

The gold fish are causing the high Ph level in his aquarium. An the fact that he is doing water changes with your adding anything to make it safe.

04/24/13  11:29am

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area