Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Fish Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Makenzie   Lizards and more   Saphira101   Managsd  

Member  Message

Makenzie
View Profile

What kind of fish can live with Beta Fish?

I’m usually on the Ball Python and Iguana forums but I have a question about fish so here I am...I know that Beta fish don’t need a huge tank to be in, and I’ve had one named Fransisco in a little 1 gallon thing for about 6 months...long story short I’m moving him into a 10 gallon aquarium with a filter and all that jazz but I wanted to know what kind of fish can live with him b/c obviously it would be a boring aquarium with just him...but I can’t get rid of him... he’s awesome.

06/11/12  12:16am

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Makenzie   In reference to Message Id: 2269532

I am not a fish expert so ask someone else too but I think it can be any tropical fish WITHOUT long fins and is non-aggressive. The reason why the fish can’t have long fins is because the beta will think it is another male betta in his territory, so it will nip and tear the fins harassing the other fish relentlessly.

06/26/12  01:09pm

Saphira101
View Profile

Message To: Makenzie   In reference to Message Id: 2269532

Guppies are a good choice, they are mild fish. Make sure you have an aquarium heater in your tank though, bettas are tropical fish, and need temps of 78-82ºF. Avoid tetras, mollies, platies, and swordtails. You could also get and african dwarf frog or two, they make AWESOME betta tank mates, even if they’re not fish. Mystery snails are also nice, but unless you want baby snails, only buy one.

Good luck, and do your research!

Saphira

05/16/13  01:32am

Managsd
View Profile

Message To: Saphira101   In reference to Message Id: 2297390

In my little tank with my Betta I have a dwarf african clawed frog and 2 assassin snails, works great.

06/06/13  09:38pm

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area