Fish Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bustarhyme   Allielover   Lizardchic  

Member  Message

Bustarhyme
View Profile

Pregnant or Not?

Hi guys i just got my first red wag platies they are so pretty. One of the females i got is alot fatter than the other females but i just got these fish literally five minutes ago so i couldn’t observe if she was getting fatter over the span of the last couple of weeks. I researched breeding and everything before i got these fish and it said something about a black dot on the fish’s belly/stomach area. I was wondering if anyone knew if there are more than one black dot or not. She seems to have a black dot pattern though so that is kind of confusing me. PLEASE RESPOND AND HELP ME!!

04/02/12  07:07pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Bustarhyme   In reference to Message Id: 2261178

Pregnant or Not?

i have guppies, but this might apply

mine are pregnant for about 6 weeks, as they get farther along their chest really deepens, and i can see their very dark-black "uterus" pushing their clear shiny swimbaldder upwards as the fry grow. about 1 or 2 weeks before they are born their mom’s body is very bulky, and occasionally you can see a few of the baby’s eyes shining through her sides, but they rearrange them selves frequently at this time, so you might not see it., a day-a few hours before the fry are born she might relax allot more near the bottom of the tank. some of the females hunt and consume the fry, while others just ignore the baby’s.

i think i read once that platies have more muscular body walls, so you might not see any darkness.

one of my first guppies was pregnant when i got her, so i know how you feel, her first brood was only 5. and the unknown male also fathered another batch of 12, before she ran out of fertilized eggs. i only bred her one other time and she had 5 litters of between 24-43. so your pregnant/gravid female may have more than one batch without mating again

please just ask if you need any more fish help, allielover

04/03/12  10:34pm

Lizardchic
View Profile

Message To: Bustarhyme   In reference to Message Id: 2261178

Pregnant or Not?

I’ll know if you send a pic of it

09/13/13  03:58pm

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area