Fish Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Xxxravenxxx   KaleidoRats   Xxxravenxxx   KaleidoRats  

Member  Message

Xxxravenxxx
View Profile

Questions

ok so i have 3 fish right now. they are all comet golds. im wondering if they continue to grow even tho in a small tank. all 3 are in a small 5 gallon tank and 2 of them are getting quite big. i plan to upgrade when i can but im just curious as to if these fish will continue to grow even in such a small environment.

11/17/11  07:57pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Xxxravenxxx   In reference to Message Id: 2244580

Questions

I assume you’re talking about the goldfish.

Goldfish are actually considered pond fish in most cases and it’s not suggested to keep them in anything less than a 10 gallon tank. I believe the general rule is 10 gallons per 1 goldfish but I’ve also heard that it should be 20 gallons per 1 goldfish. I don’t keep them myself due to how large they get and how much space they need. Most of my friends who keep them keep only one goldfish per 10 gallon tank with an air stone and filter and up them to 20 and 30 gallon tanks as needed.

In a 10 gallon, uncrowded tank they can grow to 4 inches but in a bigger tank they can grow to be 7-8 inches. In a pond they can grow to be over 12 inches.

They can be kept in smaller tanks but the quality of life goes down as they will continue to grow slowly and will end up too big for their tank. It’s much like bringing a St. Bernard puppy home to a tiny studio apartment and expecting it to stay a puppy.

In most cases goldfish don’t live longer than a year due to the common misconception of being able to house them in small bowls or betta tanks and often without a filter or an air stone. If their tank is overcrowded they will more than likely die due to lack of oxygen or disease.

They can live to be 14 years old in optimal conditions.

11/19/11  10:44pm

Xxxravenxxx
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2244784

Questions

i have a full set up and only had the fish maybe 3 or 4 months and they ae doing quite well but thay grew. i plan to upgrade them into a bigger tank. i cant get anything bigger than a 15 gallon since thats what my filter can filter. i have commet golds and id never have a fish without filter or air if it needs it to live. i have to be careful with the size of tank because i dont have much space and could only go as big as maybe a 20 gallon regular tank. i keep an eye on the fish so if i see anything thats distress ill know how soon ill have to upgrade. i just want to know if they continue to grow even in such a small environment.

11/21/11  02:11pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Xxxravenxxx   In reference to Message Id: 2244934

Questions

Ideally you should have a minimum of a 30 gal tank for them and they will continue to grow no matter what.

Think of it this way: No matter how small your clothes were as you were growing up you still had to get new clothes every now and then because they didn’t fit anymore. It’s the same with animals except in this case the fish will more than likely die if not given the proper room. Even a passive fish will fight and possibly kill or eat his tank mate if he feels over crowded.

11/21/11  06:26pm

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area