Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fish Forum

Baylor13   KrazyKelli   Baylor13   Jonathanphan  
 Member  Message

Baylor13
View Profile

Koi Pond is finished!

I have been wanting to make a koi pond for some time now and finally this week got it done. My mom and I tore up a huge part of our deck in the back yard for a garden and so I used the wood to make the pond. It’s 10 ft long 6.6 ft wide and 2ft deep, thats about 1000 gallons. I made my own filter with a waterfall effect and a coworker of mine is selling me another filter for the other end of the pond for more filtration. I’ll get pics up tomorrow and in about a week I will try some feeder fish to see how they do then add the koi.

03/19/11  12:05am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2210357

Koi Pond is finished!

=O post pics. I’ve so wanted to make a koi pond forever now (I live right up to wetlandish woods, so part of my backyard already has water), but don’t know how I’d keep the koi alive for the 6 to 8 months there’s snow.

I might just dig up the wet section of the yard, tarp the bottom for the beginning steps of a pond, lay some wood around it, and lay gravel to convert it into a private more-controlled wetlandy feature for the snakes and toads. Maybe add a filter to keep mosquitoes at bay.

03/19/11  03:02pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2210440

Koi Pond is finished!

This is the pond, another filter will be put in on the other side to move the water more. I live in South TX so I dont have to worry to much about the cold. This year it froze about 4 times and the town shut down 3 of those 4. We normally get to the low 40’s so keeping the pond livable for fish is easy.

03/19/11  11:38pm

Jonathanphan
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2210526

Koi Pond is finished!

Awsome.Me my dad and my brothers built an underground in the grass one.It was huge like three of yours.We did it right too.Layed tarp wood and w/e blah blah.Nice too!

04/02/11  10:38am

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area