Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fish Forum

Rae rae   Rae rae   Meganburch32   Bgj1010  
 Member  Message

Rae rae
View Profile

Algae eater

is there an algae eater that can live comfortably in a 10 gallon? i know of the chinese algae eaters but i’ve either had bad luck and they not make it, or they’ve been kind of aggressive. also, i DON’T want a snail. i know they eat algae, but their slime actually produces something to make algae grow since that is their food...makes sense if you think about it. after getting a big snail one time i had the most HORRIBLE luck with algae after that. i mean nothing would get rid of it....NOTHING! i did every kind of cleaning, no light usage, wasn’t by window, etc. anyway, the algae never got under control until the snail was gone.

i know plecos grow really large, is there a smaller kind maybe?

02/11/11  11:33pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2204462

Algae eater

thanks

02/16/11  10:57pm

Meganburch32
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2205381

Algae eater

Some species & morphs of Plecostomus don’t grow as large as the common species.

02/19/11  11:22pm

Bgj1010
View Profile

Message To: Meganburch32   In reference to Message Id: 2205906

Algae eater

If you put a common Pleco in a 10 gal, it will not reach the typical 18". It will only grow to it’s surroundings. As for the snail, not sure what kind you had, but I have a Nerite, and it is constantly working (eating) and there’s never been any trace of slime or anything. My Pleco is about 3" and my Nerite is about as round as a nickel, maybe smaller and they’re in a 10 gal...

My tank houses one common Pleco, one Nerite, one Betta (male), one fancy Guppy and three Head and Tail Light Tetras. They compliment the tank and each other very nicely, and they definitely aren’t crowded. The only fish bigger than 1.5" is the Pleco, and the others won’t grow more than they already are. Probably gonna get a Cory Catfish soon, to help keep the bottom clean. Every week when I do a 20-30% water change, there’s a lot of hidden food. The Catfish will eat all the leftovers...

04/02/11  12:43pm

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area