Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fish Forum

Meganburch32   Meganburch32   Vabi   Meganburch32   Vabi   Meganburch32   Vabi   Meganburch32  
 Member  Message

Meganburch32
View Profile

My 55 Set Up Try 2

I’ll just give you the links for the pictures.

1-22-11
Link

1-23-11
With a few more decorations and a couple fish.
Link

I know, I know. Fake plants!?! Fish so soon!?! The fish were a gift, & the fake plants are there until I find clay soil for the live plants. As for time being they make the fish feel safe I guess.

I have 2 Dalmation Mollies; 1 male, 1 female. 2 Swordtails? Not too sure what they are actually, I’m just guessing. I’ll look them up in a few, hadn’t gotten a chance to yet. & 1 male Betta.

I did however take a couple gallons of my neighbor’s fishtank water and some used filter material for the beneficial bacteria as well as add aquarium salt.

The fish seem fine now but do you have any tips, & or pointers for the time being?

Thanks,
Megan

01/23/11  11:27pm

Meganburch32
View Profile

Message To: Meganburch32   In reference to Message Id: 2200617

My 55 Set Up Try 2

I was right. They’re Swordtails, more specifically, Koi Swordtails!

Megan

01/24/11  12:37am

Vabi
View Profile

Message To: Meganburch32   In reference to Message Id: 2200617

My 55 Set Up Try 2

Good call on the filter media. That will really kick start the tank. If you can borrow a few cups of substrate or decorations that would be even better.
There are a few products on the market that claim to contain live BB. I’ve had luck with a few of them. "Cycle" is ok. It cut down the time it took to get the water chemistry right.

The main thing for now is to keep the water clean. Cycling tanks will get dirty very fast. If you change out 10-20% of the water every other day or so then it should be fine.

Also, mollies will appreciate the extra salt, but the live plants will not. Just keep that in mind before you start planting it.

The stand and canopy look really good. It will be a nice display tank.

01/24/11  08:11pm

Meganburch32
View Profile

Message To: Vabi   In reference to Message Id: 2200824

My 55 Set Up Try 2

Thanks. I’ve have been reading alot on how to kick start the cycle & I did what I could for now. My neighbor said if I clean out her tank I can borrow what ever I need, so maybe Saturday I can grab a decoration piece or two. I think I’m going to skip the chemical cycling though, stick to the used aquarium stuff & I guess the fish too lol.

I set up another, smaller filter to try to keep it a little cleaner. It’s a whisper power filter, 20-40 gallons. I didn’t want to get another really strong one because I want some left over food and crap to fall to the bottom for the bottom feeding fish/invertebrate I will be getting in the future.

How much salt can the plats take before it goes wrong?

Thank you for the compliment, I really appreciate it!

Also, I paid $4.00 for the pair of Koi Swordtails. I wanted to know if they have these fish where you are & if so, how much do they charge?

Megan

01/24/11  10:55pm

Vabi
View Profile

Message To: Meganburch32   In reference to Message Id: 2200861

My 55 Set Up Try 2

If you are going to use fish to cycle, be very careful with your water chemistry so you don’t lose any fish.

Ideally, you should not add any salt to a planted aquarium, but some plants like java moss and java fern will tolerate low levels of salinity.

Koi swords are pretty common in my area. 4 bucks for the pair is a decent price. They are livebearers like mollies and guppies so you may get babies. Some species are capable of reproducing with mollies.

01/25/11  07:03pm

Meganburch32
View Profile

Message To: Vabi   In reference to Message Id: 2201039

My 55 Set Up Try 2

The fish seem to be doing fine. I managed to borrow some of my neighbor’s decorations though. Here’s a few updated pictures.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Megan

01/25/11  07:10pm

Vabi
View Profile

Message To: Meganburch32   In reference to Message Id: 2201040

My 55 Set Up Try 2

Looks good! I like the driftwood. I’m such a sucker for natural stuff haha.

That light looks pretty bright. I hope it works for your plants.

01/25/11  07:17pm

Meganburch32
View Profile

Message To: Vabi   In reference to Message Id: 2201043

My 55 Set Up Try 2

I like driftwood too but it’s so darned expensive.. I love natural stuff, but for now, this is what she let me borrow lol.

I hope the lights works for the plants as well.

Megan

01/26/11  12:20am

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area