Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fish Forum

TurtleBites   LizaB2008   TurtleBites   LizaB2008   TurtleBites   LizaB2008   LizaB2008   TurtleBites   LizaB2008   LizaB2008   TurtleBites   LizaB2008   TurtleBites   LizaB2008   TurtleBites   Eckersworld  
 Member  Message

TurtleBites
View Profile

Fish/ fly river turtle

hello.I was wondering if anyone could recomend any larger species for fish to house we my fly-river turtle. Have been thinking large bass maybe but then that kinda limits myself a other fish smaller then the bass.

Thx In advance

01/02/10  01:00pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 2110044

Fish/ fly river turtle

Koi and gold fish are great fish to put in with turtles. No fancy tail gold fish or butterfly koi due to the fact that the turtle might eat their tails.

01/03/10  02:31pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2110387

Fish/ fly river turtle

Flyrivers do not eat fish. The eat fruits that fall frm trees. They do need high ph tho.

01/03/10  03:18pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 2110402

Fish/ fly river turtle

Gold fish would be perfect then, as would be koi. I find that alot of fish and turtles, even though their not carnivores, will still nibble on the fins. But you could try them.

01/03/10  07:05pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2110475

Fish/ fly river turtle

flyriver is a large beautiful turtle that looks somewhat like a sea turtle. We are using crushed coral so I don’t really want to use goldfish as tank mates. Goldfish are feeders to a bass .need a larger fish I’m. I like oscars but my hubby does not .

01/04/10  12:05pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 2110627

Fish/ fly river turtle

Oscars might eat your turtle. I can’t really think of any other big fish that are good with high PH other then Koi and Large african cichlids. Bass aren’t a very pretty fish, I don’t know why you would want them. That and wild caught fish don’t do well in captive tanks.

01/04/10  11:42pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2110804

Fish/ fly river turtle

A friend of mine says that rainbow fish are what your looking for, he says that they come from the same area that your turtle comes from and would be perfect mates for it.

01/07/10  11:00pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2111731

Fish/ fly river turtle

you dont think bass are pretty? iv been looking around and we found some we like. thanks for your suggestions.

01/13/10  10:37am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 2113348

Fish/ fly river turtle

To me bass are a food you eat lol. The Rainbow fish are from the same area the turtle is, they are acustom to the smae conditions, Bass are not. The man that suggested this knows what he’s talking about, he’s been caring for both for over 50 years. But if you want to through the bass in with you 500-600 turtle and kill it, be my guest.

01/13/10  01:46pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 2113348

Fish/ fly river turtle

To me bass are a food you eat lol. The Rainbow fish are from the same area the turtle is, they are acustom to the smae conditions, Bass are not. The man that suggested this knows what he’s talking about, he’s been caring for both for over 50 years. But if you want to through the bass in with you 500-600 USD turtle and kill it, be my guest. No biggy right?

01/13/10  01:47pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2113376

Fish/ fly river turtle

I was just looking for additional suggestions to keep in mind other then what in already researched.gold fish are feeders to me.boring. Iv seen many people on other forums house them with p.bass. I happen to like the fish and wouldn’t even consider eating an 80 dollar fish.

The turtle has lived most it’s life with koi so I’d like something diff. We’ve consider rainbow and might go with one.would like a few different species mixed with her.

Anyways. My plan isn’t to kill my turtle.Just to try something new with her. That’s why I am here... Research!

Anyways if anyone has other suggestions besides gold fish or koi, let me know

Thanks.

01/14/10  02:13pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 2113654

Fish/ fly river turtle

First of all, there are other gold finsh other then feeders, not all of them are plain looking. You never saif the turtle had had Koi in the tank with it before, which is the only reason I suggested them. I don’t think Bass are attractive fish, I think their plan looking. Then again that was just my opinion.

Dave, the guy I talked to has been raising Fly River Turtles for over 50 years, along with sucessfully breeding some fish that you couldn’t even dream of. He has done his research and experimented and he says that rainbow fish are the best to go with them because they are from the same area. He said you could do some research on other fish from that area, but Bass are going to kill your turtle. He also said that they are carnivorous, and do eat small fish. Maybe you do need more research.

I went out of my way to ask someone with experiance on this specific turtle and you want to be that way. Fine. Just know that this is the fish forum, not the turtle forum.

Excuse me if I don’t think a plain looking bass is pretty compared to my platnum angels and discus

01/15/10  10:19am

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2113860

Fish/ fly river turtle

LOL wow. Look I’m just not into gold fish. I guess like you dont like bass(each to their own). End of story.and yes I know this the fish forum, I have been a member of this site for many years. I know my way around.

I was just asking. I never once said ur advice was wrong. I was simply stating what i already knew And yes i know Fly river turtles "can eat fish" but generally it happens with smaller flyrivers.

I know the guy u are speaking of from the other forum,and again never said anything about his knowledge about he species. Iv read his post and yes he’s got interesting things to say about the species. This isn’t the 1st or last forum iv been asking advice from. So before you go telling me to do more research maybe you should get ur panties outta ur butt and chill.

And what would know about fish I dream of having. You know nothing about me or My interest’s

All I wanted what different species of fish I didn’t ask ur advise on care for my turtle.I asked u a few questions about fish.

01/15/10  12:04pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 2113887

Fish/ fly river turtle

Didn’t say you did, and no you don’t know dave from another forum, he doesn’t get on forums for this exact reason here.

I’m done with this conversation, I didn’t say anything about fish you dream of having. You asked to see pics of my tanks awhile back, I posted links to my pics because they are to big to post on RZ, did you comment them, did you even look at them. Didn’t think so.

I just know that bass aren’t fit for the environment Fly River Turtles need. Your fish will die because you don’t care. Like I said, No big deal. Do what you want, their your pets. I just wanted to tell you so your turtles environment didn’t crash. Oh well.

I like more exotic fish like Angel Fish, SOuth Amercan Cichlids like the Discus and My african cichlids, not cheap fish like gold fish, koi and bass. I Suggested the Gold Fish and Koi because they have high PH levels like you need, you never said the turtle was already in with Koi until last minute. After I talked to Dave, he said Gold fish and Koi wouldn’t be good to put in with the turtle, to put Rainbow fish in there because they need the same conditions. or do research on other fish from the same area. If you want to put bass in with the turtle, go ahead. It’s your turtle. You got on here asking for advise and I gave you advise, the best advise. If you kill you "80 dollar bass" then sorry. I don’t know what kind of bass would ever be worth that, but ok.

01/15/10  12:43pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2113896

Fish/ fly river turtle

I thought u said it was the Dave from p.fish. Sorry wrong Dave.if been getting info from another guy on that forum that has over 20 fly rivers mixed with several species of fish my mistake for asking here!

I have no fear of my tank crashing since there is only the turtle, heater and filters.it’s been set up awhile till we decided On the types of fish We wanted.

You wouldn’t think bass would be 80 bucks but you don’t care for the different types so I guess you wouldn’t know. Peacock bass are beautiful to me.I do not like them all just that one speices stands out to me.even If it’s in a tank alone .

I never got a chance to look at your fish because they won’t show up on my iPhone. Forgive me.I’m sure they are all beautiful.

I’d still like to view them I just haven’t had a chance to get online after work. My son thinks the computer should be his so it makes computer time difficult.

Anyways this post can end since I got nothing from it at all.

I will look at ur fish when I can. I’d like to see ur fish since I’m not all that great with them. I have a few I could use some help identifying maybe tonight I can get a few pix.

Anyways.hate typing OK this thing.

Thx

01/15/10  01:48pm

Eckersworld
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 2113918

Fish/ fly river turtle

I stumbled across this looking for info on my bass!

you guys are all wrong about bass being ugly!

LOOK UP PEACOCK BASS! They are part of the cichlid family! And get way better looking then most fish described! BUT.....they will eat your turtle lol

02/12/11  12:05pm

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area