Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Fish Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Creptiles   Fink   Shwank005   Creptiles   Creptiles   Fink   Creptiles   Fink   Creptiles   Fink   Creptiles   Creptiles   Rexxaroo   Creptiles   Fink   Creptiles   Fink   Creptiles   Fink   Creptiles   Fink   Creptiles   Fink   Creptiles   Lizardman07   Thejaxonator   ReptileLord   TurboVtec93   ReptileLord   Bustarhyme  
Pages 1

Member  Message

Creptiles
View Profile

What kind of fish is this?

thanks
cody

03/04/09  09:21pm

Fink
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1963275

It could be a form of eel, maybe a birchir? or dinosaur?does it seem to survive out of the water like that? Dinosaur eel will survive out of water, even play around.

03/05/09  09:12am

Shwank005
View Profile

Message To: Fink   In reference to Message Id: 1963476

Looks like a common goby, as often found in tidepools.

03/05/09  10:16am

Creptiles
View Profile

Hey thanks for the ideas but i dont think its abirchir or a dinosaur but i do think it might be some kinda eel.then again idk cuz its seems more fish like.but idk cuz im not real into the fish thing, i have only really just started :)

Thanks Shwank005 for you help, does kinda look like one but the only problem i found is that i got the fish in fresh water.....
sooo i dont think so.

03/05/09  03:09pm

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1963637

Hey sry i didnt put more info in this help me post but i was in a hurry late night and yeeaaaaa.
but anyway

I live in west palm beach FL
I caught this fish in a fresh water canal at the end of my road.
ummm thats bout it if theres anything els u would like to know that could help u help me please ask me.
oh and thats the biggest i have seen but it might be some kinda baby fish sooo idk.

Thanks
Cody

03/05/09  03:15pm

Fink
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1963639

Cody,
what you are holding in your hand is an adult inanga. It is indiginous to New Zealand. Inangas’ usually only live one year, they are bait fish.

03/05/09  03:30pm

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Fink   In reference to Message Id: 1963647

fink,
wat pic did you see that looks like that cuz i looked it up and it didnt really look like that but it did kinda look like a Dwarf galaxias......

Thanks
Cody

03/05/09  03:38pm

Fink
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1963652

ok, here is the site http://www.niwascience.co.nz/rc/freshwater/fishatlas/species/inanga I hope this is helful. Good luck with your fish. You said your new at this, I have three tanks and they are so fun. I am about to get a big tank though, 100 gallons. I am so excited.

Fink :)

03/06/09  08:56am

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Fink   In reference to Message Id: 1963963

Fink.
thanks but mine looks a little diff
mine have the fin on top along his back
thanks for helping and im going to keep looking
thanks
yea i have always did 10s,15,20, and now im on my 45. its all doin good so far
well last night i went to petsmart and got a pictus catfish and i found it dead this morning....but i guess thats petsmat sooo.im going to return it today.
i got 2 oscars witch i am hopeing to have till i can move them to a 100 gall :)
thats awsome tho and good luck let me know how it goes
wat do you plan on usein for filters and stuff?
thanks for everything

Cody

03/06/09  03:11pm

Fink
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1964125

I am not sure what I am going to use when I get the 100g for filters. I am looking into what I have to so for a brackish tank, for my 34g not my 100, I really love puffer fish and have heard they are finicky. I had 2 oscars but one dies a few weeks ago, their tank got unplugged somehow and the lack of oxygen is what got him I think. I am reall concerned about my surviving oscar because he has become soooooo aggressive, he tries to attack my pleco every chance he gets. I want to get him a new tank mate but none of the petshops around here carry oscars that would be big enough to tank with General Grievous. (my oscars were General Grievous and Datrh Maul. I have an Albino and the one who passed was a red eye I think) Any way, sorry I couldn’t be of help, maybe next time

Krisy :)

03/06/09  04:38pm

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Fink   In reference to Message Id: 1964164

oh ok thanks anyway
oh yea thats awsome i was bout to do one of them but i just went wit a full out saltwater.
awwww sry bout general grievous.
have you looked on like craigslist for a big oscar?
oh yea i got a albino tiger and normal tiger oscar
yea its no problem thenks for careing and trying

thanks
cody

03/06/09  06:52pm

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1964220

just a little update not sure if it would help or not but i cant get them to eat any flakes but i have see them eating dead shrimp
also i think the bigist one i got killed a shrimp and was eating it.

Thanks
Cody

03/08/09  01:49pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1965014

a goby maybe but it looks like an algea blenny or some other type of blenny

03/08/09  05:14pm

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 1965107

yea it does a little but dont gobys and blennys live in salt water

03/08/09  05:31pm

Fink
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1965121

cody,
maybe you should try feeding him some blood worms. If if is a inanga or galaxiis related they are carniverous. Maybe ghost shrimp or blood worms and krill are what he eats? thanks for caring about General Grievous, I am very concerned, he is just so unhappy :(

Krisy.

03/09/09  11:23am

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Fink   In reference to Message Id: 1965458

Krisy.

well i was guna get him some blood worms but i have lots of ghost shrimp and krill so there doing fine on that and also there starting to eat a little bit of fish flakes.
mhm i know how u feel i have lost fish be for and its sad and when you have had them foe a little wile its hard.
yea im sure all he needs is a new frend to live wit i got my to young ones from to diff fish tanks and there always swiming around with each other.

Cody

03/09/09  02:57pm

Fink
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1965534

Cody,
I have a little yellow cichlid that is always swimming around and getting in the others business, it’s pretty funny because he is real small still and the rest are so much bigger in that tank. I have a 6 month old gold fish that is huge, you should see this ting. I have never seen an ordinary goldfish get this big! I think he is eating shrimp pellets I put in there for my dinosaur or something. Off hand, do you know how big cichlids get?

Krisy

03/11/09  09:54am

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Fink   In reference to Message Id: 1966629

Oh haha yea i hear that chichlid can be a little crazy sometimes.
wow thats awsome.yea i have heard of some goldfish geting huge but i nva have seen one....
ummm no not really im not to much into cichlids.altho i do have 2 firemouth cichlid

Cody

03/11/09  03:40pm

Fink
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1966809

How many fish/tanks do you have? I really want to get a tank of glo fish. We have pink, silver and red, yelloe, and Orange at the sotre by my house. I think they would be really cool with a black light or a blue light over their tank. The firemouth cichlids look pretty cool. My friend Sheri has blood parrot cichlids I think is what they are called. They are mean though. they always want to bite each other. I love to sit and watch fish, it’s so relaxing, that’s why my fish are in the living room, for everyone to see. Any way see ya- Krisy :)

03/13/09  09:15am

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Fink   In reference to Message Id: 1967806

Well rit now i only have 2 that are up and runing my mane 45GL tank and my little 10GL that has a breeding group of ghost shrimp for my fish to eat.
also it has a few little wild fish that live around me.
I wouls like to start a new tank but im not sure wit type i should do and what kind of fish?
oh yea that sounds awesome. i love them glo fish but i cant find them for sale any where :( but yea wit a black light it would be really kool.
theres this place where i live and they have a tank wit glo fish in them and they put like broken glass and trash looking stuff in the tank....it might sound bad but it looks kinda kool like the fish are radioactive or something.
yea i like my firemouths but the ppl give me 2 males and they like to fight also one of them is biger then my oscars and he likes to fight wit them for food.
blood parrot cichlids?????is that the one that kinda looks like a weirdish goldfish?

yea i love just looking at my tank.the fish are always doing something new and are funny to watch sometimes.
i wish i could have my tank in my liveing room.but i dont really have my own liveing room to do wit as i wish seeing as i am only 16 but i still very much enjoy haveing them in my room :)

Cody

03/13/09  06:51pm

Fink
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1968020

The wal-mart by my house sells glo fish. Have you tried there? I have 3 tanks right now, My 35 gal that is home to General Grievous, My 14 gal which has my dinosaur, giant gold fish and my cichlid ,and a 10 gal. that is for feeder fish. I want to get the 100 gal or 2, 55 gal. With the 100 gallon I will need some sort of external filtration system, maybe a stand alone support system or something, I don’t know, we’ll see.
Krisy

03/14/09  09:57am

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Fink   In reference to Message Id: 1968270

oh thats kool.yea my walmart had fish and they always had some kind of new thing i havent really seen befor but i went there one day and all the fish were gone :( i guess they wernt makein much money off it......
oh thats kool. dinosaur???? what type of fish is that?
haha that kool so ur cichlids dont mess with your goldfish?
oh what type of feeder fish do you use?
yea thats one of my problems rit now i want a biger tank but i only have a bunch small filter :(
but yea im guna make like a 50 at lest soon.i hope
Cody

03/14/09  02:00pm

Fink
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1968365

My dinosaur is a birchir eel. He is ways cool though. My little gold fish are kept separate because I want to make sure they are kept very clean so when I feed them to Gen. Grievous he doesn’t get any sort of disease. I also use the feeder tank when I get new fish to keep them separate from others until I am sure that they have no disease or parasites. I have spent too much money on my large fish to put any old fish in the tank with them. I feed Grievous 1- 1/2 inch gold fish, he loves them. Plus there is much less water changes now that I have him on all live food. The shrimp pellets make the water nasty and create planaria, I also really like watching Grievous eat, he stalks the little fish before eating the. His attitude seems to be getting better, he isn’t so violent. He came up to the side of the tank and just stared at me for a good 20 min. last night. It was like we were talking to each other. My husband thinks I am crazy, but I like chillin’ with my fish. He says I would probably hug the fish if I could, and I think he’s right. Something about caring for my fish just puts me at ease though, know what I mean? I get all stressed, but then spend time with my fish and everything is OK! Any way, I keep rambling on, I’ll talk to you later k? How is your algae eater doing? Pregnant? Hope not, that’s a lot of babies! ha ha Krisy

03/17/09  01:21pm

Creptiles
View Profile

Message To: Fink   In reference to Message Id: 1970049

oh wow them things.there awsome but i was never sure bout them cuz i always see them trying to hid.....does yours stay out?ohh ok so u feed them goldfish.thats koolso do you breed your own goldfish or just buy them?yea thats wat i got my little like ummm idk but its like a 10gl but shaped weird.but it works and its only got ghost shrimp in it right now.
so when he eats the goldfish he just eats them hole? yea that sounds good cuz when i feed mine they will shred all the food makein tiny little pices of food flyin all around the tank and then i got to vacuum the tank very often.
oh wow planarias? i dont relly know much bout them other then they sux and u dont want them haha.
yea thats awesome my little guys are still little ones and i dont think they would hunt any smaller fish.but i love seeing other ppls hunt down fish like that and eat them its pritty kool.but i do love watchin mine hunt the shrimp and the shrimp will always try to jump out of the tank and they just chase them down till they get them.
thes kool i always see pic and videos of ppls comeing to the tank side and oppening there mouth and even biteing the tank.
hahahaha yea well i wish i could like pet them like a dog or cat but they always run from my had haha.
mhmm mhmm i know wat your talkin bout the little sound of the water and them just swiming around and everything just makes u feel really good and also helps me fall to sleep :) im pritty sure that "they" did a study bout this kinda stuff and it really does help lower ur heart rate and relaxes you.
no dont worry bout it they place is dead.i like hearing bout your fish it also helps me wit mine
haha my algae eater....well its still really FAT and moves a little at a time so im thinkin its pregnant..but sense i cant really find any help on that kinda thing other then its really hard to get them to mate in tanks......so idk wats up wit her
also im not sure if i should jsut b careful and move her to a diff tank just to be safe.or just let her stay where she is but if she gives birth all/most the babys will be eatin.and im not sure if thats guna be a good or bad thing?

Cody

03/17/09  02:52pm

Lizardman07
View Profile

Message To: Creptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1970089

I have fish like these in the creek that runs by my house. I live in Southwest Virginia and I have found out it may be a Sculpin of some sort.

07/25/09  10:22pm

Thejaxonator
View Profile

Message To: Lizardman07   In reference to Message Id: 2045374

i think its a baby gar thats wat it look likes

08/05/09  08:02pm

ReptileLord
View Profile

Hey sorry to be so slow to respond here but I don’t post here much, noticed this thread, and thought I’d clarify the fish you have.

What you have is not an eel. Nor is it a fish from New Zealand, or goby or sculpin.

What you have is some kind of darter, a relative of perch, and native to North America. If I had to guess a species, I’d think maybe a swamp darter, but I’m not familiar with Florida fish.

I know alot of people who keep these in their home aquariums, and I hear they’re quite entertaining and almost "puppy-like" when their keepers approach.

01/26/10  03:03pm

TurboVtec93
View Profile

Message To: ReptileLord   In reference to Message Id: 2117514

It’s a goby no question about it. I have been keeping fish for many years. Check out www.aquaticsworlds.com if you are in to fish.

01/30/10  02:00am

ReptileLord
View Profile

Message To: TurboVtec93   In reference to Message Id: 2118598

It’s a darter. Google "common goby" and you will see the dorsal fins are nothing like the dorsal fins on this darter.

01/31/10  03:18pm

Bustarhyme
View Profile

Its a goldfish. Duuuuuhhh.

03/23/12  07:37pm

Pages 1

Back to Fish Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area