Field Herping Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Field Herping Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Snake master pat   Jayder85   Snake master pat   Jayder85  

Member  Message

Snake master pat
View Profile

Herp trip eats cost!

Hey guys, a buddy and I have been talking and we are htinking about driving down the east cost of USA this spring. i will be focussing on herping and he loves photography! My bucket list includes carolina pigmy rattlesnakes, coral snakes, copper head and water moccasins. Also a large specimen of Black rat snake would be nice and Hognose snakes. The farthest south we would visit is north carolina. We would focus on Maryland, North carolina and possibly New Jersey. Any info would be great,
I want specific hot spots for these snakes and anything else you guys think would be sweet to check out. Of course love the other herps, just this trip is primarily for snakes.
I literally want to know specific good spots, especially for coral snakes....seeing how elusive they are.

thanks

12/07/11  01:38am

Jayder85
View Profile

Message To: Snake master pat   In reference to Message Id: 2246424

Herp trip eats cost!

I will try to help you some if i can. I am from KY but have spent a lot of time herping the South. I am not too familiar with Pigmys. As far as a coral snake, GOOD LUCK! I have never seen one and i know guys that have hunted for years and never seen one. I know they are a snake of the coastal plains, in pine forests where the soil is sandy. Palmettos are a plus, they love bark and leaf litter. Copperheads you will see anywhere you go, and your Cottonmouths will be anywhere near bodies of water and swamps and i would say North Carolina will be your best bet. A large Black rat should be easy to find, I see them all the time. Cornsnakes will also be in North Carolina in good numbers. Hognoses just arent too plentiful anywhere but if you find where there favorite food is, toads, you stand a descent chance at finding a Hognose. Also in the coastal plain of North Caroilna you may find a Scarlet Kingsnake in the same type of area that I spoke about the Coral. Just drive the back roads, and if you see a place with trash, tin, etc. then take a look. ALWAYS STOP AND ASK PERMISSION FROM THE PROPERTY OWNER.
Hope this helps a little!

12/15/11  08:54pm

Snake master pat
View Profile

Message To: Jayder85   In reference to Message Id: 2247324

Herp trip eats cost!

Thanks,
what is a palmetto? I keep finding a plant species when ever i search it. Do you think that you can give me names of towns or counties with which I should back Road???

12/21/11  10:41pm

Jayder85
View Profile

Message To: Snake master pat   In reference to Message Id: 2248041

Herp trip eats cost!

Palmettos are a plant. A type of palm. I didnt realize when i typed the earlier messages that the way i worded it was odd lol. As far a back roads and towns just hit the interstate whichever it may be. Driving along the interstate gives you a good idea of the terrain and when you find what suits you hit an exit and start hunting. Raleigh NC is good, the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are so many places it is hard to narrow down. I would recommend hitting a semi coastal interstate heading down and then hitting an interstate back north farther inland on the way home.

12/22/11  12:05am

Back to Field Herping Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area